DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

May 10, 2024, 04:52:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GPS Apps  (Read 8941 times)
keukaflyer

« on: December 30, 2011, 11:54:12 AM »

It looks like it has been a year since this was touched last with a question about iphones, and technology changes quickly.  I'd like to reopen the discussion:

I have an Android based phone, so that's what I'm mainly interested in.

Has anybody found a good app for GPS tracking?  Please share.

Geoff S. had a website you could upload a GPS file to that would give you a satellite image of the area, and overlay your track with color differentials depending on your speed.  That is my ultimate goal - to see where and how fast visually.  I use it, it works, it is cumbersome.

I was looking at the MotionX-GPS offered for the iphone - looks like a great app, but not available for the Android.

I have found Trackmaster by Trackaroo for $9.99 that looks pretty good (designed for race cars), and also Endomondo Sports Tracker PRO for $3.99 for running & cycling.  Does anybody have experience with those or anything better?  There are thousands of GPS apps so any input would be appreciated.

Or, in the end, just a simple GPS program that you can save the file and upload it to a mapping program?

Thanks!
Joe

DN US637
keukaflyer

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 11:59:27 AM »

Here is an example of the output from GPSVisualizer.com

DN US637
sieglege

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 08:14:10 PM »

Google MyTracks is pretty good. No fancy color coding of the trace, but lots of statistics compiled.
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 08:22:37 PM »

I haven't found a really good logging app for my Galaxy S phone.
The biggest limitation isn't the apps, but the battery life with GPS turned on. I can barely get a half day.
Because of that, I just bought a Garmin Etrex 10 for logging races. I'm hoping it will be able to log a days worth of races...

FWIW, the two Android apps I've used are:
   SpeedView
and
   GPSLogger
They are both available in the Android Marketplace.

GPSLogger would crash pretty often, so I've been using SpeedView recently. It's nice and simple and seems to be pretty reliable.

Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
MICHAEL
Class Member

2007 Western Regions Gull Lke

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 09:09:50 AM »

I have a 4Gs Iphone and have used the Ski Tracks-GPS Track Recorder App. I recall it cost $.99. It records each race with Max MPH, distance traveled, graphs of speed over the race, animation and satellite views of the course, save photo option to tag your track, and claims to have 14 hours of battery life. You only click start and turn off the iphone, put in your pocket and go. Click stop when done and either save or delete the track. 
I have recorded and saved at least 30 tracks so far this season, including 5 of the races at Christina which showed max speed range of 48.0-51.7 MPH. My top speed of the season was Dec 25 on Lake Minnetonka of 54.7 and matched again on Dec 31. Of course I felt like it was 80mph! I have compared my Max speeds to a few others and it seems pretty accurate. Even compared to driving down the freeway to the speedo and appeared accurate.
There is an option to email or post the track to Facebook, but have yet to try it.
I ignore the skiing part of it for altitude, which I will use next ski trip to record each run.
I have registered some 12 feet of altitude during a race, but must be GPS error as I have not done any jumping yet!
And you can answer phone calls and check email too!

Mike DN5369
Churd
Class Member

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 02:21:31 PM »

I use "My Tracks" on my Android and it works pretty well. Free.  tough on battery life.
Charlie
keukaflyer

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 08:25:22 AM »

Thanks for the replies...the search for the best Android app will continue...

I have tried: My Tracks, GPS Logger, iMapMyRun+, RunKeeper, and a couple others I have deleted.

GPS Logger gives me the file I need to convert, but it isn't very fancy.

My battery life on my Samsung Infuse is pretty good, but it does wear the down quicker.

If anyone finds a better mousetrap...let us know!

Thanks, Happy Sailing, & send some ice to NY!!!

DN US637
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: