DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

May 10, 2024, 03:24:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Just some thoughts  (Read 9102 times)
DN 5449
Class Member

« on: April 26, 2010, 10:06:53 AM »

A couple ideas that the Hobie Class and others use is they have an informal question and answer period with the top sailors of the day.Also they will put on Guest Expert Programs where they will have the top sailors give a seminare with on the water drills and chalk talks.I am pretty sure that the DN  class is a pretty close knit group and informally doing some of that right now.I know as a beginner some of this would be invaluable.
Another idea is in our Magazine (Hobie Hortline) I will interview some of the top sailors,on their technique.We also do some profiles  on  sailors in the class.If there is an interest in this I could help out doing some of the interviews.

Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 02:42:22 PM »

I think those are great ideas!  That could easily be implemented.

I know Ron and others do give seminars at the pre-season "swap meets", but we might be able to get some folks to talk at the regional/continental regattas, too.

I'm sure if you do an interview (or more) that we can get them published in the "Runner Tracks".
I would bet Ron Sherry, John "JD" Dennis, and others would be happy to be interviewed.  Perhaps some of them could contact you directly, or post their interest in this thread.

Cheers,

Geoff S.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 03:06:08 PM by Geoff Sobering » Logged

Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
DN 805
Class Member

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 08:47:35 PM »

it always seem like a grand idea but is difficult to schedule on-the-ice training sessions because the ice is so uncertain.  Usually a number of excellent sailors will congregate at a regatta site a day early.  This provides an excellent opportunity to share information and practice.     Many years ago the DN fleet of the Skeeter IBC had a "training day" for  the new members of the fleet.   There were approximatley eight or ten newbies in the fleet.  Two showed up for "training day".  It was disappointing to the experienced sailors who had made an effort to be there to share their knowledge.   The Club continues to have a Silver division in its DN fleet, and a number of sailors sign up for Silver.  But when its time to go sailing, they seldom come to the ice.   Consequently, I have come to the opinion that those who want to learn will find a way to hang out next to the better sailors and will absorb invaluable information.   It is not worth the effort to schedule "training days" for those who don't really care.
DN 5449
Class Member

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 07:32:37 AM »

Fair enough,the other idea is hve a mentoring program,where by if a new sailor like myself shows up you can pair him with an experienced Gold Fleet sailor to help him out with tunning boat and other advice.
rpotcova
Class Officer

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 06:53:20 AM »

That is probably the more realistic approach.  I think most Gold Fleet sailors are more than willing to help on the ice.  Just ask.  (Might want to avoid race 7 of the Gold Cup!)
There is also a number of great veteran sailors in the Silver Fleet with tons of experience you could lean on for information. 
Read these forums and you can figure out who the guys are that are passionate about the sport. Get their sail number and seek them out on the ice.

DN 216
DN 5449
Class Member

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 01:35:29 PM »

Bruce Williams and David Frost were both a great source of information for myself the first time I sailed my boat.Very good at taking time to showing me how to set it up and sail safetly.
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 02:54:06 PM »

There is also a number of great veteran sailors in the Silver Fleet with tons of experience ...

There are also quite a few very experienced Bronze fleet sailors who are very helpful, too (I know first-hand because many of them help me every regatta!  Grin)

Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: