DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

May 11, 2024, 07:11:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Fine Mess  (Read 14061 times)
DN5358

« on: February 13, 2012, 11:18:40 AM »

This past weekend at Higgins Lake I was exploring my limits of speed, skill, excitement,.....
Still trying to figure out what went wrong.  Your comments, both comedic and constructive, would be appreciated.

https://vimeo.com/36664699

Thanks,

David
DonTyerman1

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 01:01:54 PM »

Wow!  Appropriate tune too. 

Prior to the spin you were bearing away in a gust.  Maybe a runner caught or your blades were a bit dull and the back end lost traction? 

The spinning seems to have come on very suddenly as you seem to slide out of place in the cockpit - foot to leeward, body to windward - and you couldn't steer out of the spin.  The suddeness suggests a caught blade - were there any cracks, shell ice etc.?

The damage was likely caused by the spinning and rolling of the boat.  Quite a debris field!  I'm surprised the plank did not sheer off.

I'm assuming you're OK -correct?

Quite a video - ain't these Gopros great?  Earlier this season I caught my mast step weld failing and the mast punching through the hull.  Your video is far more spectacular though!

Thanks for sharing.  I hope you're on the ice again soon.

Don
DN5358

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 01:12:56 PM »

The spin of the ars end of the boat toward the wind is what throws me.... literally and figuratively.  The ice was quite smooth in that area, but anything could have been hidden under the snow. 
I am guessing my Clydesdale body weight (plus 200) is what took the sidewall out thus saving the stud plates.

David
DN 5449
Class Member

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 01:25:21 PM »

Super Dave,you missed your calling ,you would make a great stunt man.You could probably sell that footage to Warner Bros. for some new action Flick.I can see it now on screen "Super Dave Catapults himself from a self destructing Ice Machine" to escape Vampires that have a risen from under the ice.
Ayes

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 01:49:47 PM »

A Legend is born ...

Glad to her that you are ok.  That was quite a mess.

If you don't do it this year you will be another year older when you do.

Warren Miller
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 01:56:20 PM »

Prior to the spin you were bearing away in a gust.  Maybe a runner caught or your blades were a bit dull and the back end lost traction? 

The spinning seems to have come on very suddenly as you seem to slide out of place in the cockpit...

After looking at the slo-mo version a few times I don't see anything that looks like your rear runner caught anything. Maybe the front runner.

I think Don has it pretty well nailed. You start hiking, ease the sheet, and turn down. It looks your body started to slide to the outside of the cockpit just before the runner broke free. If you hit the cockpit side that could have helped initiate the the spin to the outside. All that would have been helped if your runner wasn't really sharp.

How windy was it when you spun?

Glad to hear you're OK.  Smiley

Cheers,

Geoff S.

Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
DN5358

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 03:31:39 PM »

Gust 10-15 with gust in excess of 25.
JOHN BUSHEY
Class Member

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 08:54:39 PM »

It is possible that something broke first, leading to the spinout  I had that happen once where the forestay tang pushed the nose block in and all heck let loose
DN5358

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 09:11:03 PM »

More I think about it and watch the video, I am pretty sure that the front skate hit something or dropped in a crack and shot the nose of the boat leeward. All I know is that is enough video excitement for me for quite sometime.
us5285

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 09:21:02 PM »

Nice!    I'm liking the tune too....  Did time ever slow down during it? 
DN5358

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 02:15:09 AM »

Time slowed down at least twice.  "This is gonnnnnnnaaa suuuuuucccccccckkkkkkkk......"  and "Oh look! I've lost my glove. I wonder........"  The glove thought came with wonder and a slight chuckle overriding the feeling of impending doom from the first thought.
Mark Isabell - DN5014
ADMIN

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 12:07:37 PM »

I believe that a stud plate broke so your plank started going one direction and you and your hull went the other....  When you picked up the pieces were both stud plates attached to the plank?
DN5358

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 12:26:42 PM »

Nothing was broken but the hull.  Plank still attached.  Starboard chalk had the 3 outer bolts stripped out.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: