DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

April 24, 2024, 06:01:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rich Crucet passes on...  (Read 25213 times)
Paul Goodwin - US 46
ADMIN

« on: April 06, 2014, 10:57:17 AM »

I have very sad news.  Rich Crucet passed away during the night of Friday April 4th.

I met Rich while sailing at a DN World Championship Regatta in 1999, and came to know him as a key representative of the Lake Ronkonkama Ice Boat and Yacht Club on Long Island, NY.  Rich was a great Champion of DN Iceboating, and was involved in all aspects of promoting the class.  He introduced new sailors to the thrill of sailing on ice, opened his workshop to local iceboaters, held weekly "shop nights" to train and encourage local building, and was himself always open to learning new skills.

Rich understood the need to travel outside the boundaries of the local club to improve skills, and was a frequent competitor at Regional, North American, and World Championship events.  At these events I am sure many of you came to know Rich for his unique sense of humor, and willingness to help out at the drop of a hat.

One example of his sense of humor was his reference to his "traveling wife" when he was at a North American Championship.  We were quite impressed with his ability to land a young trophy wife for the long iceboat trips.  I found out later that his traveling wife was actually his niece, Cathy Firmbach.  I later managed to land Cathy as my trophy wife - thank you Uncle Rich!

The Lake Ronkonkama Ice Boat and Yacht Club will be honoring Rich at their annual awards banquet.  For anyone in the area that would like to participate, the Dinner will be held at "The Oar" in Patchogue, NY on Sunday April 13th from 5-8pm, at a fixed price of $37, cash bar available.  If you are interested please RSVP to John Ziermann ASAP as he needs a head count (jzierman@suffolk.lib.ny.us).

« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 02:15:24 PM by Paul Goodwin - US 46 » Logged

Paul Goodwin
DN US-46
Chad Atkins
Class Member

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 02:13:02 PM »

UHH!  Rich, The luckiest mechanic in the world.... I hope the ferry doesn't mind a few of us firing up the blow torch and roasting a few dogs on the way to LI! Sail on my friend.
 CA
Robin KC 5493

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 08:48:02 AM »

I am just finishing a regatta box inspired by his design that I saw at the Easterns this year. He was exceptionally welcoming to this newbie to the sport.  He inspired me to up the grit of my finest runner stones from 600 to 1200 and offered a ton of advice on how to get my boat going in light air. I only met him once but he made a big impression on me. Robin
lliscio

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 11:10:19 PM »

On behalf of the members of the Montreal Ice Boating Association, I'd like to extend my sincere condolences to the family of Rich Crucet. He will be dearly missed!

Lennie Liscio
MIBA Commodore
IDNIYRA Rear-Commodore - Canadian Region
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: