DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

May 11, 2024, 05:37:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Runners?  (Read 9936 times)
mikest29

« on: December 15, 2014, 08:20:03 AM »

I am having a really hard time finding plate runners in the finger lakes region of New York. Does anyone have a pair of decent plate runners that they want to sell? I am looking for standard runners. I have a local fabricator nearby and think I may have to resort to having a pair made. Would 1/4 inch plate steel be best?
DN 805
Class Member

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 09:36:32 AM »

It seems you are not being realistic about the price you need to pay.  Runners last for decades, therefore the price does not depreciate and used runners can perform better than new because they have been ice polished.  Typically used runners are sold at a price around 75% of the price of new runners.   Some used runners are specialty runners that have a lot of value.

Few "local fabricators" are able to buy and prep steel suitable for runners as a "one off" project and deliver them at a bargain basement price.

Scott Brown
Class Member

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 09:41:12 AM »

Can't go wrong starting out with a set of 30" plates runners from sarns.  Sarnshardware.com
KB [us5219]
Class Member

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 11:37:32 AM »

Yes they must be 1/4" Plate.   That will be class-legal, but more importantly if you are not a racer that will be a good reliable runner that will be tough to bend and also perform in a large variety of conditions.  I think I used a set of sarns runners for about 4 years until I bought my 3/16" inserts.  Seems there are always some available at the swap meets.  Some have that "garage floor" patina and need some TLC, others have been meticulously cared for and coated in grease or gear oil prior to storage. 
Price out the Sarns runners before you have a one-off set made locally.  Unless you are willing and able to assemble them yourself, or you are getting a killer deal from a machine shop, it might be tough to beat the price.
Also check with Composite Concepts... Ron often has used equipment available.
keukaflyer

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 11:53:02 AM »

We just had a swap meet here on Keuka Lake.  Runners are a hot commodity.  There were a lot of old sets but nobody was selling.  Everyone was getting their old runners re sharpened for the season.

I would suggest biting the bullet with Sarns or keeping your eyes open and post some wanted ads.

You can go for a while without seeing anything and all of a sudden something pops up.  Usually right after you buy new.

DN US637
mikest29

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 12:09:05 PM »

I was at the Keuka swap meet. Bummed no one had any for sale.
mikest29

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 12:27:03 PM »

Looks like Sarns is the answer.
jackgoritski

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 09:35:58 AM »

I have a set of plate runners, e~mail me  jack@nni.com or 267-261-4286

DN 5478 US
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: