DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

May 14, 2024, 06:28:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Flotation  (Read 7116 times)
keukaflyer

« on: November 23, 2011, 10:15:53 AM »

Hey all,

Am thinking about buying Mustang's Classic Flotation Bib Pants for this year.  I figure since I usually wear snowpants anyway, they may as well float.  I was also thinking that the bibs would be less bulky than their float coat jacket if I were going to pick between the two.

I am wondering if anybody has experience with them as to how bulky they really are, if they restrict too much movement or how they work in a DN.

Here is the link:  http://www.mustangsurvival.com/recreational/classic-flotation-bib-pant?division=recreation

They also have an "Integrity HX Flotation Bib Pant", but I think the classic would suffice.

Thanks!

Internet Forum Side Note- we do sail as a group on known ice.  On ice it isn't a question about if you go in, but when.  And yes, we carry rope, dry clothes, etc.

Joe
DN 637
J

DN US637
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 12:41:28 PM »

I don't have any experience with the Mustang bibs, but I'd be concerned about wearing them without some floatation on your torso. The description says, "Designed to be worn with the Classic Flotation Bomber Jacket or the Classic Flotation Coat...". It might be that with so much flotation down low on your body that it would be difficult to remain upright in the water.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
Bob Dill

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 08:46:27 PM »

Joe,
If you need any more convincing about flotation suits check out:
http://www.sledmass.com/news/?p=689
(the video link is a little way down the page)

If you are thinking of not wearing a life jacket or float coat, I think Goeff makes a good point, especially if you fall through ice that is too thin to get back on quickly.   A float coat has the advantage of a more cold water protection than a life jacket but either one is a big improvement over nothing.

If you buy the pants let us know what you think them after you have sailed with them for a while. Hopefully you won't be able to report how they performed in cold water any time soon.

Bob
Ken Smith
ADMIN

sail often, travel light

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 10:12:23 PM »

Dick Lord, the Navy's guru on ship stability after damage always used to say:

"Having flotation down low is like tying a lifejacket to your ankles.  Not a good thing, in general."

Ken Smith
DN4137US
keukaflyer

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 11:23:14 AM »

Yes, That thought has crossed my mind.  Maybe I should buy some orange boots so they can find me.

That video was great and probably every iceboater should watch it.  There is no safe ice.

I'm thinking of a call to Mustang, but not sure what they can tell me.  Probably the same thing the description does.  Maybe some summer testing would be in order.

I'd imagine most of the flotation would be in the midsection, and if thats the case I think something would still be better than nothing.  Unless you were unconscious, but even then you'd sink to the bottom without anything.

If anyone else has some thoughts keep them coming.

DN US637
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: