DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

May 20, 2024, 08:56:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Laser Trailor  (Read 9766 times)
DN 5449
Class Member

« on: March 14, 2010, 12:04:30 PM »

Has anybody converted there Laser sailboat trailor to fit a DN boat?
Bob Rast DN1313

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 10:28:45 PM »

I had one for a few years, I first put bigger wheels on it and later had to update springs when loading 4 or more boats on it. the trailer is usualy short, I extended3 ft in back so a 4X8 sheet of ply wood could be used for a bed and bolted on Ts bunks that could hold up 4 boat and  had a seperate sail box for runners plank and sails. I then made bunks and added rollers on plywood to hold laser in summer.

Rasty
DN1313

Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 03:40:38 PM »

A Laser trailer should work well.   The biggest issue with adapting trailers to small boats is the spring stiffness.  Often the springs are designed for much heavier loads than a DN and you end up with effectively no suspension at all.  The Laser and DN are roughly the same weight, so that won't be a problem for you.  You should be able to build a bunk for the aft-end of the DN, and maybe something the steering-chock to attach to on one side of the trailer, with a pair of bunks for the plank and boom on the other side.  The mast may require some more inventiveness, but I'll bet you could find a way to make it work.  They key will be to keep the mounting reasonably light so you don't end up overloading the trailer springs!

Cheers,

Geoff S.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 03:42:10 PM by Geoff Sobering » Logged

Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
Bob Rast DN1313

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 05:05:17 PM »

My original laser trailer , I dont know if that is what it was intended for only had a single leaf spring which inverted when we put 4 boats, planks masts and sails on the trailer going to minnesota.Still made it there and back.
I purchased a new set of leaf springs , Multi leaf which more than solved the problem. probably cost a hundred bucks. Tractor supply or fleet farm , farm fleet or online.

Monona looked kind a gray toay and ramp was out 20 feet, oh well work on trailer
Rast
DN1313
DN5358

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 08:40:26 PM »

Mike my trailer was originally built for two lasers.  We rolled it down the highway once with two ice boats strapped on top.  So when we rebuilt it, we made what you saw on the ice.  A Square stock (aprox 1.25x1.25") steel frame to protect the boats should we forget how to drive and roll it again, covered with a underlayment and trim coil. It is nice to have them inside.  We also rebuilt the leaf springs, but that was after we bent the axel in a nasty pot hole.

David
DN 5449
Class Member

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 09:19:30 PM »

Hi Dave
That looked like a great set up you had.Probably do not have the skill to build that elaborate a set up,although it would be nice.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: