DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

May 17, 2024, 10:11:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Plank Pads  (Read 12190 times)
DN 5449
Class Member

« on: April 05, 2010, 07:05:28 AM »

Looking for suggestions on what are some of the options of materials to put on the plank ,where you step on for pushing.
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 09:06:31 AM »

I used to use carpet, then carpet with a piece of stair-tread protector plastic underneath (I found my spikes were going through the carpet almost immediately).  Currently I'm using a piece of thick rubber/plastic with a diamond pattern on it that is sold for use on bumper steps and the like.  I really like the rubber pad.  Spikes hold in it nicely and it's thick enough to protect the plank.  I'll try to find a photo of it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 03:40:23 PM by Geoff Sobering » Logged

Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
DN 5449
Class Member

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 12:25:40 PM »

What thickness is it? Do you think 3/8" is an over kill?
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 03:41:55 PM »

What thickness is it? Do you think 3/8" is an over kill?

I'm not sure, but I think the base it a at least 1/8", and the thickness of diamond pattern bits is probably over 1/4".

The look like this item: http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Self-Adhesive-Rubber-Safety-Treads/dp/B000W8N1ZG
(although mine came about 1/2 that long)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 03:44:11 PM by Geoff Sobering » Logged

Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
Rick Lemberg
Class Member

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 11:53:15 AM »

you can also go to a flooring store and see if they have any extra rubber stair treads they are 12" wide and very in length  and texture and also have a nosing on them ,you can also use them on the #1 bulkhead for protection from your spikes. Ive been using them for years.I put them on with contact cement.DN4155
CIYOTI4148

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 07:09:10 PM »

;)being in the road construction indusrty i have cabbaged on to and use PREFORMED PLASTIC PAVEMENT MARKING IN WHITE OR YELLOW!thats right,what you see delineating lanes on your interstate highways!an added benefit is when you visit your dockage at night you can spot your boat immediately by the bright reflectorization quality. about 1/16th inch thick,it self sticks with a strong bond,yet is easily removed.if you know of any road contractor it is readily available,you don't need much compared to a 10 foot "zipper"!now,if they begin striping highways in red and green a guy could employ port and starboard into a custom stiping scheme!
Ken Smith
ADMIN

sail often, travel light

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 08:42:13 PM »

My "old faithful" plank, 16 years of use, including 12 national or world championships has scrap carpet patch epoxied on, and never changed.

I have a spare and have made several other planks.  I glassed the step area (if not the whole plank, on the latest three) and applied stair-tread non-skid tape.  It is available at ACE hardware, comes in gray or black, and has glue on it.  It is 4 inches wide, usually, so two strips long way, or three strips short way, covers the footstep area.  I use the thick stuff, not the stuff that looks like sand paper.

Ken Smith
DN4137US
US 4618

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 07:31:32 PM »

I use rough top conveyor belting....McMaster Carr...they are black and epoxied or 5200ed on.  Real nice.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: