DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

September 21, 2024, 06:01:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Northwestern's: Where were you guys?  (Read 11920 times)
US 5432

« on: March 18, 2014, 09:28:08 AM »

Several times a year someone will start a thread about how to attracting new DN racers to our sport. One solution, among others, is to gather at a single location and invite anyone and everyone who has expressed an interest in sailing.

So, with that thought in mind, I was disappointed to see the videos and pictures posted on various web sites of all the DN sailing that took place this past weekend in Wisconsin on lakes other than Green Lake. I could not help but wonder why so many DN sailors, particularly sailors who profess to be committed to growing the sport, deliberately decided not to attend the Northwestern’s and sailed elsewhere.

The Northwestern’s is a once a year opportunity for the entire iceboat community to come together. It is a wonderful gathering where we share our collective iceboating passion.  When all the iceboat classes come together at a single location we showcase the class we all love and we collectively strengthen the sport.

Skeeter sailor Ken Whitehorse hit the nail on the head at the Saturday night banquet when he eloquently observed “iceboating is much more than just racing.” He talked about lifelong friendships, wonderful memories and a true sense of community. These are the same qualities that make the Northwestern a cherished event.

Attending the Northwestern should not be optional. For those of us committed to the sport, attendance should be mandatory. 

See you next year.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 10:17:11 AM by US 5432 » Logged
KB [us5219]
Class Member

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 09:50:35 AM »

Kind of makes me wonder if we could pull off a "North-Centrals" version of that regatta.  Someday I would love to participate, but sadly, my regatta travel budget is usually blown by midway through the NA's!
Thanks to Deb Whitehorse for feeding pictures and video clips to show us what we are missing. 
TIYC, is I believe a paying member of the Northwest association.  I think there needs to be mutual outreach to get the participation up...  there are several 15 meter stern steerers, renegades, nites, and DN's that could come from Toledo!  As always, the moving target of a 3 day (plus travel) weekend is tough.  Its a shame not to see every iceboater in whichever state the event is held not there.
But lets face it... there is nothing like home ice(Madison/Mendota sailors last weekend?).  and for those on a budget, Home ice will do just fine.
DN Centrals was very interesting as it almost looked like a GTIYC "Fun Regatta"  there were skimmers, skeeters, sprinters, arrows, and of course DN's from all over Michigan.  Although there was no racing for the "Non-DN" sailors, there was definitely some bonding, and good times. 
I hope everyone will consider the FUN REGATTA at GTIYC which is tentatively scheduled for this weekend.  There will be one-design as well as "open class" racing available. This is a great event!  And you can get a birdhouse trophy!!
DN 805
Class Member

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 10:03:10 AM »

Mike...
You have "hit the nail right on the head".
The annual Northwestern regatta (this was #101)  is always the highlight of my iceboating season.  As well as racing, it is a real treat having the opportunity to see the larger boats perform.     A majority of the Class E Skeeters are helmed by current or past DN sailors:
Jay Yaeso, Mark Isabell, John Dennis, Steve Orlebeke.   DNer Mike Derusha is the top Renegade, though he cut a corner a little too close in one race and fell out of contention.  

We're all in this together and must not miss the opportunity to build enthusiasm for the sport of iceboating and to show case the DN class.    And Green Lake hospitality is always outstanding.  

On another note:  How cool is it when on the same weekend a 60 year old woman wins a regionals and young man student wins the Northwestern?   Only in the DN class!
DN 5449
Class Member

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 12:37:04 PM »

Right on Mike,glad to hear you bring this up.I was thinking exactly the same thing,but Probably thought I already been  a little too outspoken.
I can say with certainty that this was without doubt the most memorable  iceboating Regatta I have attended.Just to see all those other designs of Iceboats and meet all the other Iceboaters was well worth the effort of getting there.I most certainly will have this on my Calendar for next year.Thanks to all who volunteered.
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 02:44:20 PM »

[Caveat: I can only really speak for myself]
I had to stay in-town due to family commitments, and I believe most/all of the other folks who sailed in Madison were in similar situations.

I think the Northwest if a fantastic regatta. I was hoping to be there taking photos this year.

I guess I'd rather see people sailing as much as they can, whenever/however that is, even if it means missing a regatta.

I'd prefer to thank Daniel Hearn, Jim Nordhaus, and all the other people who made it possible to have safe sailing/racing for those of us who couldn't make it up to Green Lake last weekend.

Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
Daniel Hearn
Class Member

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 02:51:15 PM »

I’d like to offer a very different perspective to this thread.  Rather than lamenting attendance at a particular regatta, I believe we should be more focused on celebrating participation in our sport.  

Team maDisoN has been quite successful in attracting new sailors because we have been willing to change with the times.   The Northwest regatta is indeed a spectacle, rich with history and enjoyable social opportunities.  Participating in it, however, is simply not practical for a good number of sailors.

Of the dozen or so who sailed Lake Mendota last weekend, few had the ability to go to the Northwest.  Our participants included:  two sailors with one or more kids under 4 years old; a senior year veterinary student who was “on call” Saturday; three UW students using loaned equipment provided by team maDisoN; another new DN sailor using privately-loaned equipment, a female sailor who had to work on Saturday; a 16 year old sailor who had school commitments on Saturday; a doctor who could not be out of town over the weekend, a new Grand Master DN sailor who was only able to sail on Sunday.  (Team maDisoN also spent countless hours helping many of these sailors build their boats or find good used equipment).    

Think about it: “Honey, I know I’ve been gone for work most of the week and your schedule has been tough, too, but I’m going to take a day of vacation, leave you with the kids, spend some of our money on gas/entry fee/hotel/food & beverage, etc., and If I’m lucky, I might get in a total of 3-4 races.  You’re OK with that, right?”

Few of us have much of a challenge finding enough social interaction opportunities, while all of us have a major challenge finding enough ice sailing opportunities.  Is it really that much of a surprise that the sailors above would elect to stay local, fulfill their various commitments, and at the same time get in 10 good races each day and be home for dinner? (Particularly in a season when the first local ice sailing opportunity arrived on March 15)?

If the Northwest is interested in attracting sailors such as these, the Northwest must change, too.  For example, multiple courses could be set to maximize the number of races for each fleet; finish time could be extended on Sunday, again to allow for more races; average scoring could be implemented for less-than-three-day participants, first time Northwest participants could sail for free, accommodations could be made to make the Northwest more family-friendly (shuttles to/from race course, washroom facilities out on the ice, activities for spouses/kids).

My only disappointment is that my many good ice sailing friends across all fleets who were able to attend the Northwest did not have more favorable wind conditions.  But I’m thrilled that my local DN sailing mates had such a spectacular weekend, because I know, that’s what will keep them coming back for more!

Daniel Hearn
US 5352          
DN 5449
Class Member

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 03:06:29 PM »

Nice response guys,hard to find fault with that reasoning.Like they say there is always two sides to every story.Hope to see you all next year  Smiley
Dan ,on a funny note,I spent 30 minutes talking with a guy on the ice,thinking it was you, before I realized it was not you.Everyone kind of looks the same on the ice.Guess I should get to learn sail numbers
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 03:35:04 PM by DN 5449 » Logged
searnest

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 07:20:11 PM »

Daniel is spot on as to why a bunch of us stayed in Madison. I was only able to be away from my pager from 8am to 8pm on Sunday and mobilizing for a regatta for that short of a time period just isn't practical. I did make the drive over there last year and had a great time even though all I did was set up, push out to the course, push back and tear down. We had incredible conditions on Sunday in Madison. Good enough to make up for the pain of waiting for conditions ever since western challenge!

-Scott
US5519
rpotcova
Class Officer

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 10:30:18 PM »

Few people will drive from home ice.  DNers will do it for the NA's and Worlds. Some do it for the Northwest but there was no reason the GTIYC and DN Central guys should have left that ice - especially with their boats already set up.  Huge plate of 9 rated ice....except for the small piece I found.  Lots of sailable lakes everywhere in Mich.

I have been to the NW Regatta a number of times but never went to race.  Just there for the iceboat watching and festivities.  Perhaps its a bit slow for the DNers but maybe thats ok.  Last year we watched races while eating cheese and crackers and sipping fine beer.  What a great weekend away from hectic DN racing.  Besides, DN's look out of place next to those old classics.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: