DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

September 21, 2024, 03:22:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Runners  (Read 11125 times)
glovejoy
Class Member

« on: January 15, 2011, 11:57:32 AM »

Recently I read an interview of Matt Struble in the winter issue of Runner Tracks.  Asked how to instill more interest and growth in the class, Matt suggested, among other things, to figure out a way to remove the specialty runners from the class. 

What I would suggest is the respective continental Commodores appoint a special committee of well respected members of the class.  As an example, say Matt, Steve Orlebeke and Jan Gougeon from North America, all top ranked sailors.

Have the committee develop a well thought out proposal.  Present it to the Governing Committee which in turn would propose such changes to the entire membership by mail.

Whether it receives the required two-thirds majority vote would be up to the class membership. 

Guy Lovejoy
dn4379
ADMIN

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 08:00:34 PM »

I would love to get rid of angles, "T"s and short inserts,   I don,t think the membership will vote them out. If the Governing Committees on both continents strongly backed the idea ( and that"s a stretch) then it might have a chance.  These discussions always get me thinking.  I think the biggest challenge is how to accommodate the heavier sailors in soft ice conditions.  If a big enough effort was put forth to "get out the vote", I think eliminating "T"s is possible. It didn't fail by too much the last time it was tried.  Perhaps the Secretary can get us the details on that proposal; it was over two years ago. 
Mark Isabell - DN5014
ADMIN

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 10:52:23 PM »

Keep in mind it only takes ONE PERSON to put forth a proposal to the IDNIYRA.  Their is a deadline to submit proposals but that really does not matter because even if a proposal misses the deadline for the current year it can be looked at the next.

I can understand if you want to gather a few people who also want to tighten up the runner specifications and get something on paper. It can be submitted it to the technical committee and there will be action taken in a timely manor.  Does it make sense to ask the IDNIYRA Continental Commodores to put forth the proposal? They are serving the membership within the rules and regulations as set for by the class.... that is to say they are not in the business of making changes to runner specification.

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THE RUNNER SPECIFICATION CHANGED TO LIMIT "T" RUNNERS TO THAT OF THE "INSERT".

Guy, perhaps we can put something together and present it at the annual meeting during the Gold Cup / NA's.

Call me to discuss.

If anyone else want to get involved, please send an e-mail, call or reply to this post. My contact info is listed in the DN yearbook.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 11:21:08 PM by Mark Isabell - DN5014 » Logged
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 10:58:14 PM »

I'm in!

Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
DN 805
Class Member

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 08:21:24 AM »

Just a reminder, there is a 90 day lead-time requirement for agenda items at the annual meeting.    This requirement would not, however, restrict discussion of the issue.  The restriction would be that  if a vote would be taken on the subject it  could not be placed on a ballot to the members without following the procedures in the governing documents.

As John Harper has pointed out, past attempts to reduce runner styles have failed.  It is important to remember that T iron runners and angle iron runners exist in substantial numbers in the European DN community (which out numbers the North American DN community)  and  have been a popular runner choice for them for more than 40 years.  Europeans often sail on sea ice, which has a softer surface than fresh water ice.  Consequently, their runner preference may differ from North American preference.
glovejoy
Class Member

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »

There is a 90 days deadline in submitting a proposal to the governing committee for the annual meeting.

Not asking the Class Commodore(s) to put forth a proposal but to only appoint a special committee (not the technical committee) to create a proposal.

The governing committee can then propose such changes to the entire membership by mail.

If a vote is made and passes prior to the end of the fiscal year (June, 30), the changes would go into effect next year.   
Mark Isabell - DN5014
ADMIN

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 10:44:51 AM »

What is on the agenda for the annual meeting this year?

Perhaps discussion on this subject is already on the agenda?Huh

When do we get to see the agenda for the meeting?

Respectfully,
Mark Isabell
DN 805
Class Member

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 12:15:16 PM »

On pages  25 and 26 of the Winter, 2010, issue of Runner Tracks (mailed to members in December, 2010) you will find from the European National Secretaries, proposed amendments to the By Laws and Specs that address the issue of national letters. 

So far as I know, these are the only proposals that have been distributed to the membership.

Regards
DN 805
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: