DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

March 28, 2024, 09:00:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold Cup Lost and Found  (Read 10254 times)
Daniel Hearn
Class Member

« on: February 07, 2011, 09:58:46 AM »

Picked up a pair of the black boots, the kind sailors wear over spikes between races (size XL, no spikes on bottom), and a black "beanie-style" cap that were left at the hotel.  Let me know if these are yours. 

danielhearn@tds.net
KB [us5219]
Class Member

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 10:22:51 AM »

By the way... the actual "Gold Cup" was found and brought back to NW Ohio where a band of Detroit Hoodlums, aided by a German agent forcibly took it back after threatening to kidnap the acting TIYC Commodore (rear com-adorable Amanda Foeller).  Shocked  We tried to get them to go ahead and take the would be hostage, but an agrement was struck when several bottles of Jaeger were brought forward.   Further information regarding that evenings goings-on are to remain classified to protect the innocent.    Lips Sealed
Ayes

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 12:13:34 PM »

OK, here is another found and lost story from the Worlds.

I had a meeting scheduled in Connecticut Saturday and because of the uncertanty of the iceboat schedule I had decided that I would have to drive out east to the meeting.  I left the UP of Michigan about 4 pm on Thursday Feb 3rd and drove to Port Huron and cut across Canada emerging at Niagra Falls at about 2 am Friday morning.  I was tired and thought I was seeing things when a pair of vehicles popped out in front of me from an on ramp that were both pulling iceboat trailers!  I didn't recognise the vehicles or the sailors, but I held up my 2011 Worlds Cap as I passed and waved.  I stopped shortly after that to catch a few Z's.

If that wasn't coincidence enough, the next morning as I was traveling on I-90 through upstate NY I passed them again and tried to show my hat and wave.

I am not sure who you are but it was a fun and welcome sight to see fellow iceboaters treking across the country and I hope that the greeting I was transmitting was recieved.

Ayes
DN 5444

PS after seeing them a second time they remain lost ;-)

If you don't do it this year you will be another year older when you do.

Warren Miller
ERIC ANDERSON
Class Member

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 03:14:58 PM »

Ayes,

If it was a red Subaru, it was Myself (Eric Anderson) and Eben
Whitcomb.  We were in convoy with 3 guys from Nova Scotia and one from Maine in a black truck.  We found a hotel right after you saw us.  I was driving and way to tired to notice much of anything.

Where in CT were you going?  Next time you come down to CT, if you are in the hartford-manchester area give a shout and we can get a beer somewhere.

Cheers Eric Anderson US 5193  860.367.7806

sail fast,
US 5193
Ayes

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 10:09:59 AM »

Eric,

That was the encounter.  I was so tired I thought I was seeing things too.  Couldn't really believe my Ayes.

I was heading to New London CT for the Ensign Class Association annual meeting.  Our fleet in Marquette is hosting the 2012 Ensign National Regatta and we had to make an apperance.  I went through Hartford both ways.  The trip back on Saturday night through upstate NY was a messy ride through rain and wet snow.

I will give you a call for a beer next time through, whenever that may be.  I would also offer a recriprocal invitation to you if you ever find yourself in the north central UP of Michigan. I will scratch you off the lost list as you are now found.

Neil Lynch US 5444   906 362 5555

Warren Miller
Staggersnjaggs

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 04:42:05 PM »

We saw someone driving by flashing the hat!
They were in a Green Subaru Legacy wagon.
On another occasion we also saw someone else passing us who flashed a hat too!

We were in the GMC Truck following Eric...
All of us got a kick out of the Hat Flash Trick!

Cheers,
-bob
KC4536
Ayes

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 08:07:28 AM »

Hey Bob,
I am glad to hear that you all enjoyed the "hat flash trick", in my semi-concious state of mind that was the only idea I could come up with to attempt get my greeting across.  Anything to break up the monotony of a long drive like that.

It may have been me on both occasions. I saw you around 2 am Friday morning on I-190 between Niagra Falls and Buffalo, and again on I-90 about 10 am Friday somewhere south of Rochester.  Like you guys I had to stop and catch a few Z's before I could continue.  Both times I flashed my 2011 DN Worlds Hat and both times I was driving a green Subaru ;-)

Sounds like you made it home safe and sound.

Neil
DN US 5444

Warren Miller
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: