DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

April 20, 2024, 05:14:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wanted: Good Condition Used DN  (Read 13425 times)
mckjay

« on: March 05, 2011, 05:09:28 PM »

I am new to iceboating and am looking for a decent used DN.  I would prefer a complete, ready-to-sail package, including sail.

Any leads would be appreciated.
basmoss

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »

Hello:  I have a racing quality DN for sale and a cruising quality one too.  Please tell me the price range and I can put together something for you.  I have a posting on the 4 Lakes site you can see.  thanks.  ben

basmoss1 at hotmail.com

Ben Shaevitz
Harrisville, PA 16038

DN US 5395
us 5435

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 08:07:11 AM »

I have a complete package for sale. I built the boat and plank in fall '09. Depending on which runners you want, $2200-@2900. Email me or call for more info. Jody,  dn5434@yahoo.com (419)297-3955
mckjay

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 10:54:46 AM »

Thanks for the replies.  I will follow up with you individually.

In the meantime, here are a few general comments/questions for the forum:

I have not set a firm budget yet since I have just started researching my options.  I am basically looking for the best value...most boat for the least money.

I have done lots of softwater dingy racing and would like to try a few a few iceboat regattas.  I hope to find a boat which is good enough to have fun at, say, a regional level regatta, and to learn something from better sailors (i.e. if others are 2X faster, to know it's mostly me and not the boat).

How should I prioritize/allocate my budget and which parts of the boat matter the most to get the best bang for the buck?

Do you need specific types of equipment for different conditions (i.e. different sails, runners for various wind/ice conditions)?  What about sailor weight? I am about 190 lbs.

How important is a composite mast given my goal above?

Look forward to your thoughts.
Bob Gray
Class Member

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 12:10:36 PM »

The most important items are 1). A composite mast 2). A plank for your weight 3). An FO1 or similar sail.
A set of 440 stainless steel 36" inserts are ideal but if you're just getting into it a decent set of Sarnes Bullnose runners will fair you well in local and regional events and until you are willing to spend upwards of $800-$1000 a pair for the inserts. A pretty hull is nice but as long as it is a modern style hull and in intact it's all you need (a many times World and North American champion has a hull that looks like it was made from an old chicken coup, it's ugly but works). Once you have the basics all you have to do is get someone to help you set up the boat and tune it and then learn to sail it.
                                                 Bob
KB [us5219]
Class Member

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 09:52:23 AM »

Bob's suggestions are all spot on...  I might add that the primary insert runners should be 3/16".  1/4 inch inserts are okay too (if thats all you got) as long as there is no snow on the ice.  3/16" insert runners are used over 90% of the time, and in the remaining 10% of the time they still do pretty well against the "fringe" runners sometimes.

As far as the hull goes, you want the maximum cockpit length.  (Check interpretations but it should be Near Class minimum distance of 54 inches from Bow to front of cocpit).  If you are handy with wood work and epoxy you could probably modify an older style boat, but it does involve major surgery.
Max cockpit length allows you to get more of your body faired inside and under the boom when going full speed on smooth ice.  At or near Max width cocpit is helpful too.

mckjay

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 09:03:57 PM »

Guys,

Thanks very much for the suggestions last month re: purchase criteria.  Your advice was extremely helpful.  I am pleased to report that I bought a boat yesterday which seems to fit the bill nicely.  Keep an eye out for me at the back of the bronze fleet next year!
DN 805
Class Member

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 08:41:05 AM »

Welcome aboard.  You're going to have alot of fun sailing and will meet a great bunch of enthusiasts.
Tom Edwards

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 09:24:36 AM »

Good morning,

I am located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. I have a DN that I have had since 1980. I haven't used it since 1981. It has been stored and I had bags made for all of the wooden pieces by a local Sail maker.
The boat is blue and will suit a larger person than me. I weigh 140 lbs. I never modified the plank for my weight.

Please let me know where you are located.

Tom
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: