DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

March 28, 2024, 09:13:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Central Regional Regatta  (Read 10213 times)
KB [us5219]
Class Member

« on: March 16, 2011, 10:05:02 PM »

Centrals are called ON for this weekend in Northern Michigan.  Smiley
Tune in here or the Central DN hotline tomorrow for details.
Three good sites are improving daily: Lake Skegmog, Elk Lake, Houghton Lake in Northern Michigan

THINK ICE!
rpotcova
Class Officer

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 11:12:21 AM »

Stay tuned for updates.  A number of lakes are shaping up (loosing snow) and there is tons of safe ice remaining.  Please call the Central Hotline at 248 988 0851 for all the latest information.

With the warming trend this will probably be the last chance for regatta size ice.

See you somewhere on the ice this weekend,
Rich
Bob Gray
Class Member

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 03:15:25 PM »

I just came back from Skegemog Lake which is located half way between Traverse City, Mi and Kalkaska off Rt 72. Two days ago there was 2-3"of snow and I was expecting a couple of inches of slush. Much to my surprise the snow melted and set up and there was typically 1/8" of standing water on 70% of the lake. The ice was hard enough to sail with 1/4" runners. I plan to sail it tomorrow. There is over 2 ft. of ice there and the launch site is useable though somewhat messed up from trucks driving on and off the ice for the last few days. The lake is 2500 acres and the east half has the best ice.
   There are other lakes in the area that would have similar conditions, but we know that the ice both here and Houghton lake is thick and as safe as you can get for  this time of the year. Neither lake has been sailed and Houghton hasn't been looked at for a couple of days but without sailing it, I'd give Skegemog a 6+.
                                                Bob
rpotcova
Class Officer

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 08:18:27 AM »

Still do not have a 4 wheeler confirmed for this weekend.  I have one in Monroe but no way to move with all the RC gear taking up space.  Need help here please.  Any suggestions?  Will help with transportation costs if necessary.

Thanks,
Rich
sieglege

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 08:55:08 AM »

Wind forecast not so good, but better on Sunday in Houghton Lake than Traverse City. Then again, these things are known to change! Hope we can get this in!
rpotcova
Class Officer

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 02:46:57 PM »

Skegamog was sailed again today and is no good.  Houghton is being re checked shortly. It was safe earlier today.  Warmer than anticipated temps worked drainholes faster than first expected.

Hotline updated by 4pm today.

Rich
KB [us5219]
Class Member

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 04:50:40 PM »

Postponed again.   This is probably it for the season.
Skegemog falling apart, Elk lake had too thin Ice.
Houghton has nearly 2 feet of ice.  But new holes were found there.  Might be sailable.  But Jim Grogan packed up and left after finding them.
Any wayward sailors are welcome to come to the TIYC meeting in Toledo at 8PM.
Call Kent 419    509      5526 if you need details.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: