DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

March 28, 2024, 09:22:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fleet Facebook pages  (Read 19388 times)
sieglege

« on: March 26, 2011, 02:46:42 PM »

Many fleets now have facebook pages. It's time to add a new section to the Links on the DNamerica.org site. Post up the name and links to your fleet / region / country pages so that Paul can link to them.

Lake Lansing Iceboat Sailors - Haslett, Michigan
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_187730107935466
Scott Brown
Class Member

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 03:23:07 PM »

Counter opinion.  We're better off without a facebook page.  We have a big enough problem with redundant communication.   

Browner
sieglege

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 03:34:55 PM »

:shrug: every fleet is different - and it's not redundant for this fleet for the following reason...there are only two of us who race out of the dozen DNs that regularly sail the lake...plus the Nite, several Y flyers and handful of blo-karts. The same two of us are IDNIYRA members, and none of the others are registered or post here. They mostly live on the lake and they sailed for weeks in December and we didn't hear boo about it here.
Fity Five---0
Class Member

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 06:24:12 PM »

I think facebook pages / groups are a good idea.  The more places we can promote and let folks what is going on with our sport the better.  The Minnesota group face book page is. http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/groups/51859333558/

With the ever changing  modern technology and many more ways of communicating the better. 
At the Western Challenge Regatta last weekend, it was promoted through many different venues including facebook.  I personaly was posting pictures on facebook live at the event. I had folks commenting on them from as far away as Germany asking how the event was going.  Also on facebook you can create an event and invite all the members of the group with a click of the button. 
I did that for the western Challenge.  We had 80 boats from all around the world show up for the event.   
I also directed them to our MN website for official information. iceboating.net 
On our local site it is hard to send instant pictures and updates from the ice. It is an awesome site don't get me wrong there.  But the more places that we have the opportunity to promote our sport and potentialy expose others to what we do and where and when we are going iceboating the better and facebook is one of those places that we can do that. 

Mr. Brown facebook may not be your cup of tea, but for others it is.  we wouldn't want to have our sport and events be a secret would we?

It sounds like for Mr. Sieglege it is another very benificial way of comunicating that can be passed on to there local website etc... which may be yet another way to bring everyone out to the ice.

DN 5050

Fity Five---0
Class Member

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 06:58:26 PM »

Here is the link to the Toledo guys facebook page.  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Toledo-Ice-Yacht-Club/209817526720?sk=wall#!/pages/Toledo-Ice-Yacht-Club/209817526720

Also on facebook you can communicate other things about iceboating that isn't as much fun on the websites. check out all the cool pic.'s on the pages, and all the comunication there too.

Here is the Minnesota Iceboaters facebook again. the 1st one didn't come right. http://www.facebook.com/groups/51859333558/
Fity Five---0
Class Member

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 08:58:16 PM »

The Four Lakes -- Madison guys have a facebook group too.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/328443737171874/
KB [us5219]
Class Member

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 07:46:22 AM »

TIYC has used its website for years for communication.  We went to the facebook to encourage photo sharing and open communication between members and friends of the club.  We have a handful of Facebook page administrators to monitor the content, and so far there has been little or no abuse compared to other forums that we have used that quickly were spammed.

One huge advantage is that anyone with a smart mobile phone, or in my case a phone capable of sending photos or text, can post ice reports live from the site. 

Now we have a webpage that is almost never used.  It is so much easier to allow all members to contribute on facebook than funnel it through a single (unpaid) website administrator. 
We still have our page and are soon going to re-vamp it to have features that are not found on facebook but encourages use of the facebook page.
keukaflyer

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 12:32:24 PM »

Facebook is a great place to advertise to new people.  Potentially a quicker, easier tool for up-to-the-minute ice reporting since everybody has it on their smartphone.  People could "subscribe" to the clubs or areas they are interested in and others if they so choose.  It wouldn't replace the discussion boards but it is a place where new people could find information easy and at least a link to the dn america website.

I know I post iceboating pictures on my own page and get a ton of responses from people who have never seen an iceboat.

DN US637
Fity Five---0
Class Member

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 04:40:30 PM »

I don't know if it's from here or just that it is Iceboating season.  But we have had a lot of new member requests for our Minnesota Iceboaters facebook page in the last couple of days from all over the world, along with a lot more activity. 

There must some value to the facebook pages from what I can tell. 

DN 5050
keukaflyer

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 09:55:39 AM »

I just joined all of them listed - I didn't know they even existed!  If we can't have ice at least I can check in on others that have ice!

DN US637
Dideric

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 12:54:14 PM »

Did you look at:

www.facebook.com/dnnederland

think ice

dideric H467
Fity Five---0
Class Member

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 05:12:55 PM »

Here is another one. It seems to be the Michigan area guys around Muskegon MI.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/groups/37556397555/members/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: