DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

April 18, 2024, 06:43:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fun Regatta is ON!  (Read 11461 times)
DN5358

« on: April 01, 2011, 10:51:33 AM »

I just talked to Bill Cutting on Elk Lake and the Fun Regatta is called on for this weekend.
Location: Whitewater Township Park at the south end of Elk Lake.
The ice has upt to 3/4" crust.  A boat was sailing at the time of this posting.  Tomorrow winds are predicted to be higher.  Check the GTIYC hotline for more detail.

RANDY ROGOSKI
Class Member

Racing neck and neck with George Reis, March '07

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 12:40:59 PM »

The Fun Regatta is on!  Whitewater Township Park, south end of Elk Lake. 

From M-72, north on Elk Lake Road,1.25 miles to clearly marked public access, turn east on Park Road.

The Grand Traverse Ice Yacht Club invites all ice sailors to join them this weekend.

Saturdays forecast is cloudy skies and 11-16 mph wind.

Club Commodore Bill Cutting reports hard ice from the launch ramp to the sailing area. He rolled his trailer onto the ice and unloaded his gear.

"The snow protected the ice from the week's sun. The ice is turning gray," he said. He chopped through 10 inches of hard ice and decided to call the regatta "on."

Past Commodore Dick Wollam said he is on his way with chili and "Boy Scout" burgers. He's bringing the usual Fun Regatta door prizes and trophies.

Club members Chris Stoppel, George Hanks and others are setting up the party.

Check the GTIYC hot line for more detail.  231.922.3836

This report submitted by Randy Rogoski

RANDY ROGOSKI
Class Member

Racing neck and neck with George Reis, March '07

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 04:26:51 PM »

The Friday 5 p.m. report from Whitewater Park on Elk Lake:

A dozen boats have arrived and the skippers are setting up.

The chili pot is simmering and the grins are beginning.

The ice checkers couldn't cut through the ice with a 14-inch-bar chain saw; they are happy with its safety.

All that's needed is more sailors and tomorrow the wind is forecast to blow.

Randy Rogoski

DN5358

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 02:28:14 PM »

Fun Regatta is in the books.  With todays racing ending as the "Gales of November came early".  Dick Wollam took the Gold.  Bill Cutting had the Silver.  And Cooper Frost took the juniors (4th in Silver). 

More to come later....

David
DN5358

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 07:24:53 PM »

Update on the Fun Regatta......

First off a disclaimer, my memory is kind of blurred.  All I saw was my kid, Cooper, sailing and racing a DN!  The rest of the weekend was in my view irrelevant!  But for those of you who are not Cooper Fans, or he isn't the center of your sailing world, I will try to fill you in on the weekend.

We headed up early Friday to check Burt Lake and then headed over to set up on Elk Friday to find the snow cover had softened under the days sun as expected. A dozen boats were set up that afternoon, the grill fired up and the usual socializing.

Saturday morning started early and the ice was nice and hard.  Boats were set up including 3 Skeeters, 1 Renegade, 20 or more DN's and a Cooper's Opti.  As the lack of wind and sunshine made it look dubious for much sailing, Cooper negotiate the use of Julie Richards old DN.  Soon he had it rigged and asked what to do next.  I pointed at the 2 Skeeter sitting in the middle of the lake and said push your boat out to the big boys and wait with them for the wind.  He didn't push much as he sailed out to the middle of the lake.  He was the sucker wind that got everyone out pushing.  Eventually the wind came up and much sailing was done in the softening ice.  The usual hard core racers (Grogen, Jones (x2), Niles, Wollam, Richards, Cutting, Gray, and others) set up a course and proceeded to race until the top surface was just too nasty or their pants were two wet.  Cooper joined them for one lap to get a taste of racing.  Thanks to Dick for the pointers. The late afternoon was spent around the pits and fire, listening to the guitars of Chris Stoppel and Bill Erickson, fine food and great fellowship.  A few folks headed home having little faith in the healing power of Elk.

Sunday morning was again an early start with the lake hard as a rock.  The slush of the previous day was solid, and a nice cloud cover was helpful in keeping it that way.  Dick doled out his form of crack to Cooper in a nice set of insert runners to help him move along a little better.  I screwed.  The kid was sailing way nicer equipment than his old man has cobbled together.  The winds finally started to come up and we were able to get 4 races in.  And in case you haven't heard Cooper got a 3rd in the first race finishing right behind Dick and Julie.  I think the other 8 skippers were all DNF.  I was sitting in the middle of the lake on my boat along side Bob Gray as we cheer on those able to make a go of it.  A nice spectator spot in light air!
The second race Cooper got a 10th place, but more importantly I got a 9th.  I had to fight hard to beat the kid.  And yes I was celebrating as I crossed the line.  I am going to savor that moment as I suspect they may be few and far between.  I think Dick may of won that one too, but as I said, this weekend was all about Coop.
The third race the wind was starting to pick up nicely and my fat arse was able to pull off a 5th.  It is hard sailing a race while trying to monitor your kid as the winds are approaching his max level.  Cooper got a 9th, experienced a few hikes, had a some good mark roundings and his first congo line at the leeward mark, complete with port tackers joining the dance. 
We called it a day and headed to the pits at the start of the 4th race. 
That is when the wind picked up and you good hear Gordon singing in the background "when the gales of November come early".  The rain hit, along with sleet  and snow. 

Every one made quick order of getting all the boats loaded and off the ice, the party stuff packed up and the park cleaned up.  All were thoroughly soaked and the award celebration was moved to the Bay View in Acme.  Coffee, beer and pizza were the ticket.  Dick took the Gold Fleet, Bill Cutting the Silver, Cooper the Junior, and Bobbie Cutting the Opti.

As always a fun event and a great group of people to end the season with.

Looking forward to seeing everyone on the ice next year!

David

ps Here is the link to some photos from the weekend.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/58792995@N08/
DN5358

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 06:22:45 AM »

Fun Regatta Race Results April 2/3, 2011

Elk Lake, Michigan…….Whitewater Township Park (South end of the lake)
The launch was in amazing shape for early April…the ice was intact to the shore and trailers could be put on the ice.

Saturday 4/2:

Some sporadic rain and snow in the morning, and no wind until about 130 pm, and by then the sun had some time to soften up the snow ice to a layer of slush up to 2 inches  over the hard ice layer below.  The wind came up nicely, and the Gold fleet went out and got some races in without official scoring.   3 races were held with a fleet of 7, before the conditions started deteriorating too much.

Jim Grogan took 1st place all three races,
Julie Richards took 3 second place finishes,
 Stan and Don Jones were in the hunt for 3rd
Dick Wollam, Bruce Williams and Don Niles were rounding out the fleet, and Cooper Frost (13 yr old) came out and gave it a try in the challenging conditions, first time racing a DN.

Sunday 4/3:

With the forecast calling for rain, sleet, snow and hail along with winds 20 to 30 mph, the turnout was better than expected!  11 DN’s sailed 4 races, starting at about 1030am with very light wind for race 1, wind gradually  building through the next 3 races before a squall came through at about 1230 with rain/snow and some high winds, ending the races for the event.  4 races were completed, with results below:  (thank you to PRO Eric Lind for scoring!!)

Dick Wollam 1st Gold   1   2   1   1   =   5
Julie Richards 2nd Gold   2   1   2   5   =   10
Bill Cutting  1st Silver   4   4   3   2   =   13
Bob Gray  3rd Gold   dnf   3   4   3   =   22
Geoff Harris 2nd  Silver
                    5   5   6   6   =   22
Chris Stoppel 3rd Silver
                        6   6   11   4   =   27
George Siegle   7   7   7   7   =   28
Cooper Frost   3   10   9   dns   =   34
Dave Frost   dnf   9   5   dns      38
George Hanks   dns   11   8   8   =   39
Mike Burns   dnf   8   10   dnf   =   42

The weather drove the rain soaked sailors to the Bayview restaurant for lunch, and the coveted birdhouse trophies were presented.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: