DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

April 23, 2024, 01:17:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Don't Stash that DN"  (Read 6322 times)
Deb Whitehorse
ADMIN

« on: September 13, 2011, 08:47:34 AM »

Don’t Stash That DN…Now’s The Time to Display It!
(A message from your new IDNIYRA Western Lakes Rear Commodore, Julie Jankowsi)

The theme during my “interim” term as Western Lakes R.C. is proliferation of our sport….newbies & P.R.  If you haven’t gotten together with your local comrades lately, to do anything to make our sport more visible, accessible and populated…don’t delay! 
While it’s summer, yet, please be determined to display a DN at any remaining local wooden boat shows, regattas, harvest fests or other large community gatherings.  Be on hand to discuss our sport and exchange contact info with newbies….arrange to meet them on the ice this winter.  At 12 our son, Stefan, built a DN with Joe Norton and dad, Mike.  I encouraged them to enter it into our local wooden boat show and it won 1st place for non-motorized boat.  Cool!  What a great P.R. day.   You can help another newbie do this, too. 
Many clubs have shop nights.  When considering your projects for the year,   consider building a DN or Opti that you can gift or sell cheaply to an interested newbie.  Better yet, get their hands dirty, build pride and excitement, and invite the newbie to build it with your club!  Don’t wait for me to ask you personally. (I’m doing that now.)  Be proactive so our sport continues to thrive.   
            On behalf of the association, I would like to thank all of you who have gone out of your way to make DN’ing a reality for someone new in the recent past. ..especially if it wasn’t your own offspring…like  Mike Derusha with Sam Myers and Jane & Bob Pegel gifting their jigs and other shop items to the U.W. Madison Hoofers Club with an added gift of their assistance to build DN’s!   If you haven’t read this past Spring’s  Runner Tracks  articles by Jane Pegel and Dan Hearn on DN  proliferation, I urge you to do so now.  Then send them a “thank you” email!  We need to desperately take their words to heart and get on the band wagon, also.
How were you introduced to iceboating?  Gift this to someone else, soon!   I’m looking forward to hearing your club and personal stories, in these proactive regards, this winter.   
Speak softly and carry a big……………………………………………tiller!
Cheers,   Julie Jankowski
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 12:12:48 PM by Geoff Sobering » Logged
painthappy

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 08:16:28 AM »

Not sure if it's the same, but here's an article of someone who just did the same thing:

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2011/08/28/Fans-of-classic-wooden-boats-relish-the-ride.html

Also photos:
http://www.toledoblade.com/gallery/Toledo-Boat-Show

You can only see the DN sail, but still, it's a great idea to help promote the sport.
Sunfish1909

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 09:07:51 AM »

Our members here at the Gull Lake Ice Yacht Club of Richland, Michigan showed boats at the Michigan Maritime Museum Small Craft and Wooden Boat Show this summer. We also paraded boats rigged with in-line skate wheels and some on trailers to participate for our first showing in the Fourth of July parade. One of our members has restored a 1938 Mead Skeeter and was awarded for showing at the Toledo Boat show. Our next event is our annual Swap Meet on the first Saturday of November. Keep iceboating a year round presence in your community too. It is great to promote our sport and inspire new members / future skippers. See our website for additional photos, events, and information. Check us out on Facebook... search Gull Lake Ice Yacht CLub. Cheers from Kalamazoo....looking forward to another great season.   http://www.gulllakeiyc.org/

Sunfish1909
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: