DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

April 17, 2024, 09:16:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Angle Runners  (Read 6445 times)
Bob Gray
Class Member

« on: October 31, 2011, 03:14:53 PM »

I was going thru my runners getting ready to sharpen them for the season when at the bottom of the pile were two pair of my much hated angles. I must admit I'd almost rather not sail then to use them but I feel I should sharpen them properly however I am not really sure how best to profile them. Is 90 or 100 degrees best. Do you want a short rounded crown (10-12") or a flat crown (18"-20"). No one around here really seems to know so I'd appreciate some input. Thanks.
                                                                           Bob Gray
wnethercote
Class Member

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 08:09:09 PM »

Pragmatically, 100 degrees is best - you'll grind away a huge amount of material for a 90 degree edge unless you add weld metal to the edge before starting.

As to profile, I don't know.  Mine have quite large crown, but they are used so little around here (Nova Scotia) I have no standard to measure against.  I made some 100 degree 1/4 inserts and I've used them with much more effect than my angles in conditions where I might have used my angle runners in the past.  In the really slushy stuff I still use my angles, but most of my friends stay ashore ....
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: