DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

April 24, 2024, 12:57:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any Ice in michigan  (Read 20214 times)
dn4297

« on: January 02, 2012, 09:10:34 AM »

Just looking for ice in michigan
dn4379
ADMIN

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 05:30:38 AM »

Assuming missaukee snowed out. No one has reported any new ice to the hotline as of 1/2/12.
sieglege

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 12:02:38 PM »

We are watching Lake Lansing in Haslett....was not safe yet as of Tuesday.  The Lansing area missed the big snow this week.
KB [us5219]
Class Member

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 12:23:02 PM »

10 day forecasts look very poor at this time.  The only ice that is likely to be sailed this weekend is that which already had a good base thickness and has been re-surfaced by sun and warm temps.  That said - Lake Missaukee and other Traverse / Eastern U.P. locations might be worth looking into.
Looks to be sloppy sailing either way this weekend.  Still keeping an eye on Western Region Champs.  Might be no choice but to make the drive... who is in if there is no Michigan Ice?  Huh

bmintz

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 02:13:12 PM »

I would like to go, but really do not want to drive 8-10 hours by myself.  Stop by chicago to pick me up with my boat anybody? Split gas and hotel.
Daniel Hearn
Class Member

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 02:18:44 PM »

bmitz:

Large group heading up from Madison.  One wave leaving Friday morning and the other leaving Friday evening.  Contact me if you are interested in hooking up with us.  danielhearn@tds.net
DN5358

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 02:37:51 PM »

Brian,
Coop and I will be heading to the Westerns.  Depending on the location we may or may not have a travel partner and we could swing by on the way.  Give me a shout when the make the location decision.

David
BT

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 04:07:52 PM »

Walled Lake (SE Mich) has about 1.5 inches around the shoreline as of today, frozen nice and smooth (at least on the west shore).  I haven't ventured out any further, but I expect that it should be ready by Sunday, if not Saturday, and could be epic conditions.  Will there be wind?

Now, to make the decision to cancel my ski trip per the desert-like conditions in the rockies so far this year.  Very un-epic.
DN5358

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 06:04:26 PM »

I would like to go, but really do not want to drive 8-10 hours by myself.  Stop by chicago to pick me up with my boat anybody? Split gas and hotel.

Bill Call me about travel to the westerns.  Soon.  Tonight.  My usual travel partners have fallen through.  Call me before I make other plans! 

David
sieglege

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 06:50:02 PM »

My inlaws (who are not iceboaters) said Cedar Lake in NE Michigan is "smooth ice" and no snow - they saw from a drive by..apparently the NW side of the state didn't get much snow. It's very long, but narrow. Not good for racing, but perhaps for a nice tuning session. This lake is barely 5' deep in places.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=greenbush,+mi&ll=44.529189,-83.304005&spn=0.06388,0.168056&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Greenbush,+Alcona,+Michigan&gl=us&t=m&z=13&vpsrc=6

There's another nearby lake called Van Etten which is different geometry, but also relatively shallow. Not sure if it is open or not. Hubbard Lake might be another to check if anyone is near Alpena.
Jordana
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 08:55:18 PM »

I just got a call from Jim Walsh in Gladstone, MI, on Little Bay de Noc (less than an hour's drive north of Escanaba). He reports that he drove his truck out onto the bay off the same beach where some of us sailed last April. He saw three very large areas of good ice. (He is an iceboater who also happens to be looking to acquire a skeeter.) He did not sail the ice, though.

Might snow up there Thurs. He said temps supposed to be anywhere from the teens on Fri, warming to the 30s on Sunday.

Anyone closer than me (I'm in Madison) who wishes to talk to Jim directly, he's happy to chat at 906-280-0620. (He does not do e-anything.) Jim and his friends treated us great when some of us were up there sailing last April -- they grilled chicken and steak and brought it to the beach. Jim has really been hoping to get some fun sailing, perhaps even a regatta up there soon and would be a great point person.

Jori
DN US 5397
KB [us5219]
Class Member

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 08:15:41 AM »

Almost playing out just like last week. Lots of lake effect snow to watch and a deeper freeze on thursday night (a bit late for good ice checking for timely announcements.) I hope to hear from some Ice checkers today...  We will likely have a formal announcement about Central Regional Regatta tonight.  Perhaps at least some scrub racing at Pontiac (as early as today) or on Sand (this weekend) Stay tuned.
If you are traveling or from the Eastern Michigan region that includes Saginaw-Algonac .  I would also look forward to hearing from the Gull Lake- Gun Lake, Grand Rapids area.   Might be incoming reports also from Escanaba Region, but our volunteers, and some of our competitors might not be able to make it up there (yours truly included - got a long flight on Monday!)

Email me at Kentb (at) bex (d o t ) net     Or TEXT/CALL right from the site at: four one nine 509 55 26 
Hint: Call or Text about ice that is fantastic - you can hardly wait to rig up! 
Text or Email about ice that is a No-Go or Needs more freeze time or a zamboni.

Your communications will help us make a confident decision about sailing this weekend!  Cool

Kent Baker US 5219  Central Lakes Rear Commodore
RANDY ROGOSKI
Class Member

Racing neck and neck with George Reis, March '07

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 11:55:55 AM »

Dick Wollam and contingent from the Grand Traverse Ice Yacht Club plan a Northern Michigan mid-week ice checking mission Feb. 7 and 8.

Tuesday they are sailing South Lake Leelanau from the Bingham Road launch. A number of successful regattas have been held there.

Wednesday they are sailing Lake Charlevoix. The will launch at Boyne City at the east end, the site of the 2010 Centrals. Also on the agenda is sailing the larger west end near the village of Charlevoix.

Northern Michigan has a cooling forecast with overnight lows around 20 degrees with highs near 30.

Watch the bulletin board for a report of their observations.
KB [us5219]
Class Member

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 03:55:04 PM »

It is heartening to see that the troops are being mobilized.   With great difficutly we depart Germany in the morning, despite the German Championships being held this weekend. 
Please be safe, and I will be looking foreward to the reports when I am home!
-Kent Baker
US 5219  Centra Lakesl Rear Commodore
RANDY ROGOSKI
Class Member

Racing neck and neck with George Reis, March '07

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 06:53:20 PM »

Dick Wollam had fun sailing his DN Wednesday and Tuesday with Chris Stoppel and Bob Gray on Lake Charlevoix and South Lake Leelanau. He said the region has raceable ice.

Check back here for the ice report and plan for a Central Lakes Regatta Feb 10 & 11, coming soon from  region commodore Kent Baker.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: