DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

April 25, 2024, 05:36:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Broken Aluminum Spar / Mast - No idea on the Manufacturer - But need parts!  (Read 8172 times)
painthappy

« on: January 05, 2012, 08:53:19 PM »

I'm stumped.  I thought I had a Kenyon aluminum mast on my DN. 

It was purchased used and is 20ish years old I would guess.  The mast step casting on mine actually broke.  The metal looks faulty and why it eventually broke.

I purchased the: Pivoting Mast Step Assembly w/ 3-Position Adjustable Socket found here:
http://www.rigrite.com/spars/kenyon_spars/2040-mast.html

But that's not it sadly. This one is too long by 1/2 an inch I'd say.

Anyone have any idea?

Picture link:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7165/6644791763_d053d5ec85_z.jpg
GEORGE REIS
Class Member

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 05:09:34 AM »

Glue a block of wood in the bottom then get the Sarns mast base and screw it on.
Sunfish1909

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 11:53:20 AM »

I did the same with this mystery mast profile as well. I used some ash and oak to create a mast step plug. I reinforced it with some carbon fiber between the inner plug and the wider ending profile (like a sandwich). All coated with epoxy of course. It has held up well for two season's so far. I used the Sarns three-position mast step too. Best of luck with your project.

Sunfish1909
painthappy

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 02:09:03 PM »

Wow.. Interesting way of doing it.

Well, I got it fixed.  I thankfully have a shop at my disposal and I was able to rework the bottom piece and make it fit perfectly.  You would never know it wasn't a stock piece.

Awful having a mystery mast.  The original piece of metal was of very poor quality and far too thin for the pressure exerted on it in my opinion.

Sailed on Sunday with the new piece.  All was fine and moving 36 MPH across the ice.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: