DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

March 29, 2024, 09:27:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Central Lakes Championship  (Read 16381 times)
KB [us5219]
Class Member

« on: January 09, 2012, 08:02:32 PM »

ALL SKILL LEVELS INVITED TO ATTEND

2012 IDNIYRA
Central Lakes Regional
Championship Regatta

All races will be sail under the rules of the National Iceboat Authority and those of the IDNIYRA.

Dates: January 14 & 15th , 2012

Location: Within the Central Lakes Region - Sailing site to be determined by regatta organizer.

Entry Fee: $30.00
Seven race regatta format – 3 race minimum in the Gold Fleet will constitute the regatta. Fleets – Gold & Silver Fleet – Volunteer Split for fleets.

In Cooperation with the Central Lake Region Regatta, the DN Ice Opti North American Championhips will also be held concurrently on the same location.  For details on registration for The Opti NA's please contact Ron Sherry @ 586-790-5557

First Race scheduled for 11:00 am Saturday

Registration on the ice from 8:00am to 9:00am and at the Regatta Hotel Headquarters Friday night.

Official sailing instruction will be provided at registration.

Official regatta information, updates and accommodations: Central Region Ice Hotline 248-988-0851

All races will be governed by the Racing Rules of the National Iceboat Authority; the By-Laws of the IDNIYRA; the Notice of Race, including any amendments to the Notice of Race, (except as any of these are altered by the sailing instructions) and the Sailing Instructions. The Sailing Instructions may be modified at the Skippers’ Meeting.

Eligibility: All DN class yachts meeting the requirements of the Official Specifications and whose skippers are members in good standing of the IDNIRYA are eligible and encouraged to enter and race in the championship.

Proof of personal or race liability insurance ($300,000 minimum) will be needed at time of registration.

Interested in helping?  Want to report Ice?  ....Please call Kent Baker @ 419-509-5526  kentb(@)b e x . n  e t
KB [us5219]
Class Member

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 09:53:46 PM »

Lots of possible sites. The weather is not looking too promising, but there is a good chance snow could miss one of these lakes. The difficulty lies in getting the ice checked and sailed on time to call the regatta soon enough for sailors to make the trip. 
We will make the call around 4PM  Thursday.
KB [us5219]
Class Member

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 03:45:13 PM »

Master Ice Checker Wollum confirms the snow storms have started in Traverse City Region.  The large weather event is upon us, and the whole area of Michigan that has frozen lakes is to receive 2-8" of snowfall over the next 24 hours.  Further the only sailed lake is Missaukee, so ice checking the other lakes will now be even more difficult with snow on top or a wet layer.
The Central Lakes Region Championship is POSTPONED.
We will pass on any information if any lakes are found to be sailable this weekend for Saturday P.M. or Sunday Scrub racing.
KB [us5219]
Class Member

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 09:54:06 AM »

CENTRALS UPDATE:
Still under postponement   Recent thaws and new snow have made ice checking difficult, if not dangerous.  Most thick-ice lakes now have rough snow-ice.  Again, we will be looking for another warm-up to re-surface ice, or possibly some new ice.

No new reports for Michigan and Ohio.  Temps are to drop down tonight making some previously unsafe ice thicken up.  Of course snow showers will be prevalent throughout the great lakes from now until Saturday morning.

I have a few small Venues in mind for possible Scrub racing if you want to be in the know for those spots- make sure I have your cell phone number if you want to RECIEVE TEXT MESSAGES regarding new information on ice checks.  This will allow me quickly and easily relay messages to all who are ready to hit the road for some sailing!  Simply text your NAME and "CENTRAL DN" to 419()five zero niner()5526 and I will add you!

As always, please keep your reports coming in.  I will assume that no report = no safe or sailable ice (or you like to sail by yourself!).  Angry

Think ice!
Kent Baker  US 5219
Central Lakes Region Rear Commodore IDNIYRA
(or Central Commander for short)
Randy Johnson

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 12:34:12 PM »

Gun lake 1/2 hour north of Kalamazoo has beautiful ice 4-5 inches. Plan on sailing today or tomorrow. scale category 9
Randy Johnson DN-4000
rpotcova
Class Officer

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 09:20:59 PM »

Sounds like great ice.  Please keep us informed after it is sailed.

Sand Lake  - east of Jackson, MI - also is reporting good ice and will be sailed tomorrow. (thurs.)

I assume Holliway Resevoir is still good and is sailable.  Please check before you go.

Central Regionals will stay under postponement.  I am Regional Commodore Kent Baker's vice commodore for the next 2 weeks.  I am out of town til late Thursday and can't check anything.  Loretta is in Europe and any other possible support is staying in Toledo for the TIYC Winterfest.  If someone finds great ice on a large lake.....I'll promote you to race chairman and get you the trophies.

RP
PJ

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 01:52:38 PM »

I asked a friend, who lives nearby, to take a look at Gun Lake:

"Drove out to the lake about 11 AM, West side access / boat launch.  It's a "BIT" slushy on top. The ice seems to be a bit thin.

Weather is to be high 20's at night High 30's during the day. Sunshine tomorrow with winds picking up Saturday to 25 Knots."

He's a sailor but not an iceboater. If anyone has actually sailed it they may know more.

rpotcova
Class Officer

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 12:53:33 PM »

Is the superbowl a big enough deal to affect attendance at a centrals regatta?  May have ice in northern Michigan?  Thoughts?  Stay tuned
DN5358

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 12:57:03 PM »

Is the superbowl a big enough deal to affect attendance at a centrals regatta?  May have ice in northern Michigan?  Thoughts?  Stay tuned

Isn't the "super bowl" the trophy for the gold fleet?  Ice trumps turf in my world. 
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 01:06:22 PM »

What's this "super bowl" you speak of?  Wink

Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
rpotcova
Class Officer

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 02:49:09 PM »

It's the game that the packers won't be in.
bmintz

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 03:36:21 PM »

Is that the sport with the funny shaped ball?  Let's go sailing!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: