2012 pre-registration list for NA is online.

<< < (3/6) > >>

KB [us5219]:
I feel that the local DN fleets are strong, growing, and attracting new members. Our stumbling point is the ranking regattas.  The problem - which is the case also in softwater regattas is how increasingly difficult it is to pull off mid-weed race formats.  Our format is unique for us in that it gives flexibility to move locations or adjust the time of the regatta (within that week) to allow for weather changes.  Many people simply cannot afford, or dont have enough time off to do this sort of thing. 

I dont see how we can pull off any major changes to the format without hurting the international aspect of the competition.  The old format with week long+ postponements would cause the participation to drop off sharply as time went on. 

I hope maybe someone has ideas... short of any new ideas (marketing ideas?), the next move is monetary.  How many additional sailors will waiving the late fee net us?  How much additional hardship will this put on our race committee?  With numbers dwindling, lack of participation may create larger financial headaches than the extra sailors would.   Whatever the case may be - I feel that we should do all we can to increase participation to 150 sailors. 

Geoff Sobering:
Quote from: Jim McDonagh  [us5214] on January 19, 2012, 04:30:13 PM

It would be easy to change the fee structure.  I'm always for making the by-laws easier to follow and implement.
[...]
Someone can make a motion to change it to this:
    The regatta is open to any member of the Association who has paid all current dues.

I'd vote for that!

I can't see a downside.
At worst, the organizer could specify a 2X late-fee in the NOR; they are just not mandated to do so.

DN5456:
Instead of taking the late registration completely out of the picture, just make the registration deadline later in the year.  Maybe 3 weeks before the event.  Revise to something like this:

"The regatta is open to any member of the Association who has paid all current dues and who has mailed an entry form with entry fee 3 weeks prior the the event.   Late registration at two times the normal fee will be accepted up to one day before the regatta. Current members who have not sailed in a continental regatta for three or more years are not required to pay the late registration penalty."

This would put the registration deadline this year from Jan 14 to Feb 6 for instance.  Giving a much bigger window for sailors to decide and also still getting the funds for Shirts, Trophies, etc.

This may open the window for younger sailors like myself who cannot justify spending $60 for a regatta we don't know that we will be able to attend due to work, family, finances  ,etc. 

Jim McDonagh [us5214]:
I guess you don't see my pretty graph unless you are logged in..

eric_anderson:
If there is no late fee, why would anyone preregister ever?

Regatta entry fee is a very small part of the cost of attending a regatta.  Think about it.  Figure 6-8 days of vacation. Average comute to the NA's has been about 1000 miles each way ~400$ in gas, 8 days of hotels, eating out for 8+ days.  Most of the time, you know well in advance that you are going so pay early reg.  This year I don't know if I can make the NA's so  I did not preregister and am happy to pay the penalty. 

I don't see the fuss. 

Sail Fast,
Eric  US 5193

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page