DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

March 28, 2024, 06:17:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012 pre-registration list for NA is online.  (Read 44636 times)
Jim McDonagh [us5214]
Class Officer

« on: January 18, 2012, 01:53:37 PM »

Here's a link to the new site that has the pre-registered sailors for the North American regatta.

https://ice.idniyra.org/racing/registration/North_American_DN_Championship/Registered

We've got 50.  37 off the web, 13 mailed in..

The late-fee is waved for the Europeans, so they don't usually pre-register.

If you are probably going to be competing in the regatta, you can still register on the site, and just select COD, or Check.  The amount will be $120.00 and you can pay it just like when you show up at registration, and we can delete the order if you do not show up at registration.  This way we will be able to plan that you maybe participating.    I'll close down the online registration a few days before the regatta.

Europeans can register too, right now, we will just go in and update the price after you put in the order, just select COD, or CHECK.

thanks to everybody that pre-registered!
jim

Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 03:04:20 PM »

Thanks Jim!

Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
Jim McDonagh [us5214]
Class Officer

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 06:42:46 PM »

I should make sure to mention.. NO REFUNDS!

You can sign up now, and then pay the Registration Fee at registration.

The organizers will take into account the fact that you have not paid and are just a registered member.

You can still pre-pay the $120.00, there is just not that much of an incentive, because there are no refunds.

thanks,
jim
rpotcova
Class Officer

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 11:01:48 PM »

Can the governing committee or the race committee please explain why we need the $60 late fee?   Please no spin because I have done a few of these regattas over the years and no excuse makes sense.  Again, the numbers are way down and we still want to hit up the membership for 2x the registration.  Thanks for dropping it back down from last years unknown increase.

Just make late registrants exempt from the free shirts or whatever is given away. Lets boost registration instead !
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 12:54:42 PM »

Can the governing committee or the race committee please explain why we need the $60 late fee?

Unfortunately it's in the By-Laws...  Sad
The regatta is open to any member of the Association who has paid all current dues and who has mailed an entry form with entry fee prior to January 1. Late registration at two times the normal fee will be accepted up to one day before the regatta. ...

I agree a change that would allow the regatta-organizer to plan expenses (ex. give-aways) and give late-registrants the best opportunity to participate would be desirable.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 12:59:01 PM by Geoff Sobering » Logged

Jim McDonagh [us5214]
Class Officer

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 01:27:26 PM »

I think the late fee is in place to have an incentive to pre-register.  Otherwise why would anybody pre-register?  Preregistration allows the organization to have funds available to manage the regatta.
rpotcova
Class Officer

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 03:11:46 PM »

We know there are funds available for all the initial expenses.  Funds are not needed in advance.  I covered the NA's a few years back with Central funds until we got entries.  I openly violated the bylaws by allowing late registrants and picked up about 11 sailors that would have otherwise not have entered. (And we did registration with 2 people)  One person was upset with me that I did not adhere to the by-laws.  Really?  I know I'll hear the arguement that its such a small portion of the total cost to sail but its an unnecessary money grab.  Just cut these late registrants out of the give aways.

BTW.  I have received 9 emails or texts in support of my comments.  I'm know there are many others that agree and didn't comment.  I urge the membership to support me in a   by-law change.
rpotcova
Class Officer

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 03:22:15 PM »

Forgot one important point.   Can the regatta organizers ask for funds in advance from the governing committee?  Trophies and shirts would be about $1200.  We know that the entry now hovers around 90 sailors for NA's and add 30 for the Worlds.  This is helpful for those without regional funds available.  We do have the money...right?
DN 805
Class Member

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 03:32:38 PM »

It is not as grim as it appears.  The by laws provide for fee breaks for newbies and also when the site is moved. 

90 boats - not impressive.

Am I the only one who recalls 183 boats at the Worlds and NAs in 1993?     We're doing something wrong, and I don't think it's the fee structure.

...sneaky scribe
Jim McDonagh [us5214]
Class Officer

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 04:30:13 PM »

It would be easy to change the fee structure.  I'm always for making the by-laws easier to follow and implement.

Just remove most of  https://ice.idniyra.org/Yearbook/IDNIYRA_ByLaws#Regattas.B.4.a
Someone can make a motion to change it to this:
    The regatta is open to any member of the Association who has paid all current dues.

and for everyone's consideration.. the numbers from the last few years..

The numbers go up and down a lot.  sneaky scribe reports 183 competitors in 1993, but only 64 by 1996 (moved from Detroit to Burlington, every year has it's own unique situations)

Number of Participants in Continental Regattas in NA Since 1996

and there is a graph attached..

Year    NA      Worlds
----    --      ------
2011    --      118
2010    68     
2009    99      118
2008    100     
2007    110     125
2006    85     
2005    76      121
2004    108     
2003    114     127
2002    90     
2001    96      122
2000    47     
1999    122     142
1998    84     
1997    118     99
1996    64     

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 05:05:30 PM by Jim McDonagh [us5214] » Logged
KB [us5219]
Class Member

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 04:57:32 PM »

I feel that the local DN fleets are strong, growing, and attracting new members. Our stumbling point is the ranking regattas.  The problem - which is the case also in softwater regattas is how increasingly difficult it is to pull off mid-weed race formats.  Our format is unique for us in that it gives flexibility to move locations or adjust the time of the regatta (within that week) to allow for weather changes.  Many people simply cannot afford, or dont have enough time off to do this sort of thing. 

I dont see how we can pull off any major changes to the format without hurting the international aspect of the competition.  The old format with week long+ postponements would cause the participation to drop off sharply as time went on. 

I hope maybe someone has ideas... short of any new ideas (marketing ideas?), the next move is monetary.  How many additional sailors will waiving the late fee net us?  How much additional hardship will this put on our race committee?  With numbers dwindling, lack of participation may create larger financial headaches than the extra sailors would.   Whatever the case may be - I feel that we should do all we can to increase participation to 150 sailors. 
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 05:12:19 PM »

It would be easy to change the fee structure.  I'm always for making the by-laws easier to follow and implement.
[...]
Someone can make a motion to change it to this:
    The regatta is open to any member of the Association who has paid all current dues.

I'd vote for that!

I can't see a downside.
At worst, the organizer could specify a 2X late-fee in the NOR; they are just not mandated to do so.

DN5456
Class Member

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 05:26:29 PM »

Instead of taking the late registration completely out of the picture, just make the registration deadline later in the year.  Maybe 3 weeks before the event.  Revise to something like this:

"The regatta is open to any member of the Association who has paid all current dues and who has mailed an entry form with entry fee 3 weeks prior the the event.   Late registration at two times the normal fee will be accepted up to one day before the regatta. Current members who have not sailed in a continental regatta for three or more years are not required to pay the late registration penalty."

This would put the registration deadline this year from Jan 14 to Feb 6 for instance.  Giving a much bigger window for sailors to decide and also still getting the funds for Shirts, Trophies, etc.

This may open the window for younger sailors like myself who cannot justify spending $60 for a regatta we don't know that we will be able to attend due to work, family, finances  ,etc. 

DN5456
Jim McDonagh [us5214]
Class Officer

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 06:49:29 PM »

I guess you don't see my pretty graph unless you are logged in..
eric_anderson

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 08:08:16 PM »

If there is no late fee, why would anyone preregister ever?

Regatta entry fee is a very small part of the cost of attending a regatta.  Think about it.  Figure 6-8 days of vacation. Average comute to the NA's has been about 1000 miles each way ~400$ in gas, 8 days of hotels, eating out for 8+ days.  Most of the time, you know well in advance that you are going so pay early reg.  This year I don't know if I can make the NA's so  I did not preregister and am happy to pay the penalty. 

I don't see the fuss. 

Sail Fast,
Eric  US 5193
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: