DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

March 28, 2024, 08:54:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Sailor guide  (Read 12851 times)
Ken Smith
ADMIN

sail often, travel light

« on: January 28, 2012, 12:46:44 AM »

Jim McDonogh started a nice and very informative series on getting started in a DN.  Others have since edited the series and added comments.  There is information there great for every level of sailor.  Especially a great guide to setting up and tuning your boat.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED READING!

https://ice.idniyra.org/About_the_DN

Or go to ice.idniyra.org
and click on the ABOUT THE DN tab, and then the link on the top right, NEW TO ICEBOATING.

Great job Jim and other anonymous editors!

Ken Smith
DN4137US
Ken Smith
ADMIN

sail often, travel light

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 09:01:39 PM »

25+ years and still learning. 

Ron has a nice tuning guide as well, slightly different but very similar to the one Jim posted:

http://iceboatracing.com

The composite concepts website.

Ken

Ken Smith
DN4137US
DN 5449
Class Member

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 08:34:49 AM »

Forestay. The forestay adjustment changes the rake of the mast. It (along with halyard position) also affects the distance between the back of the boom and the deck. For starters, raise the sail and then adjust the forestay so the boom hangs approximately 14” above the deck, and the blocks are about 12 inches apart.

This confuses me (like a lot of things).even with the blocks recessed into the Boom ,they would have to be pretty small to have the distance between your blocks only 2" shorter then distance between Boom and deck.
The distance between blocks is that fromm bottom to top?
Scott Brown
Class Member

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 11:20:36 AM »

The "distance" mentioned is measured from the rear deck of the hull straight up to the back end of the boom.  Just hold your boom in your hand with minimal pressure so it isn't flopping around. 
DN 5449
Class Member

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 11:25:24 AM »

Yes I understand that point ,but the distance between the blocks is the issue that confuses me . Huh
Scott Brown
Class Member

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 04:09:52 PM »

Take a look at some of the pictures from gretchendorian.com.  She has several current shots of DNs.  Take notice that when fully sheeted in, the blocks seem to fall into a line, one-in-front-of-the-other.   It's referred to as being block-to-block.  The pulleys don't smack each other at all, and thus the "size" of the block is usually not too much of a problem.  Also, look at Harken's website for recommended block size if that is an issue.

If needed, email me:  scott (at) brownmarketinginc.com

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: