Re: World Championship --Unofficial updates and comments

(1/3) > >>

Geoff Sobering:
Quote from: Debbie Whitehorse of iceboat.org

DN Commodore was able to contact Commander and delay this for a few days...would have ruined the course..boat might come through on Thursday now...

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200770216052

The U.S. Coast Guard icebreaker Mackinaw will be working on upper Green Bay next week, checking the ice fields in the shipping channel from Rock Island to Chambers Island.

The cutter will travel southwest along the charted Lake Carriers Association track lines, then will back out the way it came.

Anyone who ventures onto the ice for recreational purposes in that area is urged to use caution and avoid the shipping channel.

For information on the precise timing of the icebreaker’s work, call Sault Vessel Traffic at (906) 635-3232 or e-mail sootfc@uscg.mil

Ken Smith:
I sent an inquiry to the USCG based on local experience and my military background.

The reply is quoted below:

"My name is Mark Gill and I supervise the Vessel Traffic Service in Sault Ste Marie.  We dispatch the Coast Guard's ice breaking resources for Northern Lake Huron, Lake Michigan, Lake Superior and the connecting waterways.  Forgive the informal response, I'm writing this from my home computer.

"Thank you for the information.  Mr. John Harper of your organization has also made contact with us.  Rest assured, we share your concerns for safety.  In as much, Mackinaw will not be sailing south of the 45-15' parallel during your event; if she comes into Green Bay at all.  Mackinaw has other ice breaking duties which will take to southern Lake Michigan.  I doubt that she will return before your event is concluded on the 25th. 

"Again I thank for contacting us.  If you have additonal questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me.  Good luck with your event and "fair winds".

Regards,

Mark S. Gill
Supervisor, VTS St Marys River
Sault Ste Marie, MI

Ken Smith:
Please post comenatary and un-official regatta reports here.

Thanks

Geoff Sobering:
A couple of photos from yesterday: http://www.geoff-s.net/photos/main.php?g2_itemId=31

Cheers,

Geoff S.

dn4911:
We are sailing on a large plate of ice about 3.5 miles off shore.  There are 125 boats competing.  The Bronze fleet got off their race at about 12:30 today in 5 - 10 mile wind from the north - northwest.  The Silver fleet was delayed in their start as the wind shifted to the west, then came back north and finally the fleet was started.

The wind stayed light and fluky with some puffs and shifts, causing the fleet to be spread around the 1.25 mile course.  At various times some skippers resorted to pushing.  The wind varied from 7 mph to nothing.

After the Silver Fleet had finished the wind died completely and at 4 pm the Race Committee called off racing for the day.  Some sailors started pushing home.  But within 20 minutes the wind shifted dramatically to the south and built to 10- 15 mph providing all with a nice ride back to the launch area.

There is currently a protest being heard.  The rumor is that the protest is against the last race and the relief being sought is to have the race thrown out because of the conditions.

The ice ranges from clear and smooth to somewhat bumpy. There is no snow on the ice and none in the forecast.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page