DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

April 24, 2024, 08:58:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting ready to build a new hull - But how much sitka do I need?  (Read 6903 times)
painthappy

« on: February 16, 2012, 04:53:55 PM »

I'm going to place an order for some Sitka spruce, but I have no idea how much to order...

I obviously need two long pieces for the sides.  12' boat... So should I get two 14' lengths for the sides?  Will that be enough?  Do to the bends and curves, I'm just not sure.  I don't want to order all that and end up too short.

How much extra will I need beyond that?

You would think there would be an exact list somewhere of how much wood is needed, but I can't seem to track that down.

Any help is obviously appreciated.  I have a full workshop at my disposal and Sitka spruce available.  I think I'm going to order those full size plans for my first build.  But I'm in the dark on how much wood I'll really need.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Carter Brown
icesailing.net
Bob Gray
Class Member

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 08:50:36 AM »

I have built several hulls but I use my own plans so I might not use exactly the wood you'd need but it should be close.  For the sides to be on the safe side get two 13 foot boards, most boats need about 12 1/2'. The boards should be a little wider then the max width of the side boards. For the internal structure I generally need a 1x8 by 8 ft. board. It's nice to have wood for the cockpit bulkhead that matches the sides, but that's dealers choice. I have used basswood, poplar or cedar for the internals.
     You will need about 1 1/3 sheets of 1/8"/3mm okoume or marine grade mahogany plywood. The bottom skin takes quite a beating and it's not uncommon to have to replace sections so I use 1/8" Luan ( I had source a source for high grade Luan ). Some of the boats I've built have been sailing for over 18 years and the Luan has never been a problem. I hope this helps.      Bob
painthappy

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 08:47:14 AM »

Yes, big help.. Thank you!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: