DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

May 22, 2022, 02:46:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012 NAs Discussion  (Read 34173 times)
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer
***
Posts: 461



WWW
« on: February 19, 2012, 10:46:11 PM »

This topic is for any informal discussions about the NAs.

The official notices are available on the hot-line and forum topic in the NOR: https://ice.idniyra.org/racing/Notice_of_Race/2012/North_American_DN_Championship
Logged

Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
eric_anderson
Newbie

Posts: 44


« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 07:13:28 AM »

19 boats raced the Easterns on Outer Mallets Bay in Colchester VT.  7 races over 2 days on hard black ice in wind speeds of 4 -10 knots.  Course length Saturday  1 ¼ mile, Sunday about a mile.  The plate of ice can easily accommodate a 1.5 mile course plus pits and startline in any wind direction   No hazards found in the racing area.   Launching was from the Mallets Bay Boat Club.  Additional launching from the Fish and Game access is available for the NA’s.  The IDNIYRA Commodore, Eastern Commodore and a member of the race committee were all on site to see the conditions.
A number of pressure ridges need to be crossed to get to the race area, all were crossed without planks. 
Inner mallets Bay is sailable (a  bubble boat and several other skeeters were racing on the inner bay Sat and Sunday).
This appears to be the best ice in the east right now.  Other possibilities include Lake Winnipesaukee and Lake Sunapee in NH. 

Cheers,
Eric
Logged
Kentski
Class Member
*
Posts: 12


« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 03:37:36 PM »

 the "seasoned" crew  will remember the 96 NAS were held here .   The all composite mast took over!   produced  by Ron Sherry a with help from his freinds.  The season  prototype mast designs were allowed      even check stays and spreaders too were tried!   
dn sailing changed forever for the better

Great location if conditions hold.........

jk







Logged
GEORGE REIS
Class Member
*
Posts: 10



« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 04:13:54 PM »

Runner tracks says the NA's are Feb 25 - March3  So the first race is  Feb 25 right.


Logged
Chad Atkins
Class Member
*
Posts: 53


« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 04:41:01 PM »

I think that registration would be saturday the 25th,  and qualifiers would start sunday if the weather cooperates...

Chad
Logged
DN 805
Class Member
*
Posts: 267


« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 05:15:22 PM »

The schedule of events appears in the Notice of Race:
February 25, 5:00 p.m to 8:00 p.m. (local time) registration
The day following registration - 10:00 a.m., first race (local time)

Good luck to all.
Logged
KB [us5219]
Class Member
*
Posts: 248



WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 06:02:53 PM »

Item #5 In the NOR:

5. Schedule of Events:
 •February 20, 2012 9;00 p.m. EST. Tentative site information posting on website & hotline. Information will be updated as it becomes available.
 •February 22, 2012 9:00 PM EST Site information posting on website & hotline. Information will be updated as it becomes available.
 •February 25, 2012 5:00 – 8:00 PM, local time. Final registration and check-in for all competitors at the site headquarters as posted
•Day following final registration - 9:00 AM,local time, Skipper’s meeting at launch site. 10:15 AM, local time,First race
Logged
dn4379
ADMIN

Posts: 55


« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 06:03:25 PM »

Is there any chance the regatta could move to Canada? 
Logged
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer
***
Posts: 461



WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 06:34:26 PM »

Is there any chance the regatta could move to Canada? 

I think one always has to assume there is a chance of that happening.

Cheers,

Geoff S.
Logged

Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
jackgoritski
Newbie

Posts: 10


« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 07:33:36 AM »

Have "Notice of Race" info, but can't seem to find other, ie. WHERE?
Have long ride and would like to start early......
Logged

DN 5478 US
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer
***
Posts: 461



WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 07:59:04 AM »

Have "Notice of Race" info, but can't seem to find other, ie. WHERE?

The final "where" won't be determined until tomorrow.
Logged

Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
Ayes
Newbie

Posts: 63


« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 10:52:30 PM »

the current weather for Mallets Bay looks ugly right now.
I am sure they are in the wait and see mode to make a good decision.
Logged

If you don't do it this year you will be another year older when you do.

Warren Miller
KB [us5219]
Class Member
*
Posts: 248



WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 08:07:02 AM »

This is what I believe is happening.  I AM NOT THE AUTHORITY to make official notices, but to help calm my friends from the Western Region...
Call has been delayed due to:
#1.  Some administrative issue with the local authority on ramp use.
#2.  Weather - Rain today, snow the next few days makes it hard to guess what the conditions might be Sunday morning.
 
Eben Whitcomb tells me he is confident that Mallets Bay remains the primary site.

Danny Connell has delayed final call to this evening (Thursday).  The site will have soft ice on the surface until Saturday or Sunday and we ask people NOT to sail it and create ruts on the regatta course area.  There might be an alternative sailing area for those who want to practice Saturday.

Here is the hotel information I have. 

Hotel headquarters will be the Best Western in South Burlington (about 15 minute drive from launch)  http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/US/VT/South-Burlington-hotels/BEST-WESTERN-Windjammer-Inn---Conference-Center/Hotel-Overview.do?propertyCode=46013&group=false&disablenav=false&hideProgressBar=false&photoCategory=HOME

My advice to all is: be ready to trek to Vermont or beyond.  Stay tuned... hopefully the call will happen by tonight.  We are mindful that some have 24+ hour drives ahead of them.

Again:  NONE OF THIS IS OFFICIAL at this time.   But I am sticking my neck out for the sake of those who are loaded and ready in Minnesota and Wisconsin.
Hopefully this will give you GPS info and phone numbers so you can hit the road as soon as things are official.
-Kent

« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 08:15:19 AM by KB [us5219] » Logged
Ken Smith
ADMIN

Posts: 289


sail often, travel light


« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 08:47:45 AM »

Thanks. Didn't mean to get folks excited but coming in from afar, information is scarce. A note to say "we are waiting to see weather". Or "primary site is here but" goes far. Silence is deafening. Now better, so thanks.

I know this is a challenge. Hopefully those of us not in on calls and on planes and traveling can get updates via phone hotline and Internet.

I am sure it's going to be great.

Ken
Logged

Ken Smith
DN4137US
Ken Smith
ADMIN

Posts: 289


sail often, travel light


« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 06:31:49 AM »

See the latest forecast from USAIRNETdotCOM.  Precip is in liquid equivalent.

Ken
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 06:35:02 AM by Ken Smith » Logged

Ken Smith
DN4137US
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1 RC3 | SMF © 2001-2006, Lewis Media Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!