DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

April 23, 2024, 11:10:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012 NAs Discussion  (Read 41923 times)
sonic

« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2012, 06:36:37 PM »

any video of the NA too watch?
rpotcova
Class Officer

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2012, 08:10:24 AM »

Despite the challenging weather and ice conditions - the regatta went very well.  Thanks to the Eastern reagion for hosting another great regatta.  Maybe someday soon we'll sail your ice again.   A special thanks to PRO Eric Lind for filling in last minute and banging out 3 races as "time expired".  Maybe Curley Lambeau was looking down and gave mother nature a full body block!

Congrats to Ron Sherry for winning yet another North American Championship.

T Thieler US 5224

Of course I respect you...

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2012, 06:27:11 AM »

Cathy Firmbach was taking pictures at the NA's-  check her site at  http://www.cefirmbach.com/index.html    Looks like she will be posting photos soon.

There was a guy with a GoPro camera looking for volunteers to mule it around the course-  anyone know who that was?  It was a great day for it, that's for sure!

Many thanks to everyone who made this one happen-  I can say with authority that the whole East Coast contingient had a blast!

Think Ice, 

Jim "T" Thieler
DN US 5224

Ice is nice, heat is beat...
Sunfish1909

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2012, 07:16:21 AM »

GoPro Camera:   DN 5358 (David Frost) from the Gull Lake IYC had a GoPro in tow. Prehaps he was the skipper you saw.

Sunfish1909
KB [us5219]
Class Member

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2012, 07:52:48 AM »

The go pro camera guy was a local (we think).  He strapped a camera on Rich Potcova's boat (US-216) just before the first race.  There is a picture of this at: http://blog.uwgb.edu/inside/index.php/featured/close-ups/02/28/photos-ice-boating-races/
I wonder if he had anything to  to with UWGB??  Hopefully we will see some movies soon!

T Thieler US 5224

Of course I respect you...

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2012, 10:07:50 AM »

Hey All-

Just got the photo CD from Cathy Firmbach in the mail-  THOUSANDS of photos of full-on iceboating action plus some great candid shots.

The weather and light were great and she did a great job getting it on film.  I recommend it highly! 

See http://www.cefirmbach.com/index.html  for ordering info.

Think Ice!   See Ya'll in the fall...

MR T

Ice is nice, heat is beat...
flyandice
Class Member

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2012, 05:34:13 PM »

Re: Attaching a Go-Pro camera.  Just got back from New Zealand.  Did some gliding over the Southern Alps in the South Island.  The glider guys use the Go-Pro "Hero" camera attached to the wing of the sailplane.  They attach the camera mount, using the aggressive adhesive strip that comes with the kit, to a thin piece of aluminum, about five inches square.  They put down a layer of riggers (theater) tape on the surface of the wing, then tape the aluminum square with the camera onto that surface.  This holds the camera secure at above 100 knots and allows removal from the wing without damaging the gelcoat on the wing.  Should work well on an iceboat.

Hal 1277
flyandice
Class Member

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2012, 06:47:22 PM »

They used "gaffers" tape, not riggers tape.  It's the tape theater guys use to tape down power cables.
Hal 1277
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2012, 09:05:31 PM »

I've seen people just use the suction-cup mount on epoxy or painted flat surfaces like a DN hull or plank.

... usually with a bit of safety line, "just in case"...

Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: