DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

April 26, 2024, 06:37:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone ever 'widened' a slot in a chock?  (Read 7700 times)
wnethercote
Class Member

« on: February 20, 2012, 06:32:35 PM »

I started off with Hamel chocks (well actually, after my first steel ones), which tended to be a bit 'wide' so I often built my runner bodies towards max tolerance on thickness.  Some years ago I bought a set of  German chocks from Northwind, which were tighter, but still wide enough for my fat runner bodies to fit.  Most recently I bought my first Struble Chocks, and they are either under or over the nominal inch by just 1/128 ... and some of my runners no longer fit.

I could throw the offending runner bodies on my belt sander, or even build some new ones, but has anyone ever milled the slot wider on a set of chocks?  I am inclined to say that it would be a bad idea, since the stress risers at the bottom of the cut might lead to cracking of the chock.

Thoughts?
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 06:37:33 PM »

You might be able to avoid the stress risers by using a ball-end mill for the final pass. I'm not sure how large a radius you can tolerate; if it's too small then the required diameter bit might not be stiff enough.

Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
Bob Rast DN1313

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 08:34:18 PM »

I know of several sailors who widen there chocks to accept max width runners also to get both chocks the same.
You need a goo machinist but can be done
wnethercote
Class Member

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 09:56:23 AM »

Thank you both.  It sounds like an off-season project!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: