DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

April 20, 2024, 12:13:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Slush Runners  (Read 11380 times)
US 4618

« on: February 23, 2012, 12:31:55 PM »

I am building a set of 316SS Slush Runners for my DN.   I will use 90 degree for ease of building and sharpening.

I plan to use 36" for the rear runners. 

What is the best length for the front?  36", 33", or 30"?  How about profiles for sharpening?

Thanks in Advance....
wnethercote
Class Member

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 07:16:55 AM »

My angles are 36 inches all round - but I made them about 25 years ago.  Whether I'd still make a 36 inch steering runner is open to question.

Sharpen them at 100 degrees, not 90.  Unless you are going to mill the material first you will have to take an incredible amount of material off to get a 90 edge.  The milling to get a 90 degree edge might also take the angle iron (sic) out of thickness spec.  I suppose you might squish the basic angle, but in any conditions that warrant slush runners a 100 degree edge works fine.

I used to use my angles a fair amount, but several years ago I built a set of 100 degree 1/4 inserts and found them a much better choice in all but real spring goop. 
US 4618

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 10:24:50 AM »

Since I do not have a definite length for my front runner I am considering 33"   Kind of a compromise....can't be too far off.

I have already bent my angles to shape so milling is not too possible.  I may sand a compound angle on the edge though.   100 at the ice edge and keep the 90 at the far edge of the angle.  Skeeter guys do the compound angle to make stoning easier.   

By the way, using a Greenlee Electrician's conduit bender works great for bending the front of the runner.  Extremely consistent and straight.

I have heard yes and no reasons to welding studs on the runners.  I have too much invested to not weld them in place.  Actually I am going to weld nuts in place and drop SHCS bolts in place from the top.  I plan to use black 5200 for mounting as well.

Any more comments/suggestions are appreciated......
US 4618

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 10:34:16 AM »

Anyone willing to offer advice on the length to make a Front Slush (Angle) Runner. 

Obviously the side runners will be 36".  All will be 90 degrees as well.
Bob Rast DN1313

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 08:05:47 AM »

I would use some kind of stud for mounting
I had long studs welded to angles I built
Which were a little longer than needed
I mounted in a dummie body for initial sanding
Which worked well to get a smooth surface close to
90 degrees before mounting in finished bodie
I mounted the angles on the bodies with epoxie and filler
Using nuts an washers at top being carefully not to over tighten and
Keeping angles edge profile flat and rocker where I wanted
After epoxie dried remove nuts and cut of rod flush  and filled any voids around rod with epoxie
Final sanding and profile was minimal as I already built the
Profile into the angle when gluing on and most sanding was done
With dummie bodie to prevent heat build up
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: