DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

March 28, 2024, 12:33:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Centrals Scrub Racing ICE (yes, postponed again)  (Read 6045 times)
KB [us5219]
Class Member

« on: March 08, 2013, 08:36:11 AM »

Central Region Ice Seekers -

Again, we are postponed but it will be a scrub race weekend!

The reports are scarce, and the predictions all over the place.  

No doubt today and tomorrow morning, the conditions will start with stiff snow/slush on top of the ice gradually softening up.  Will it become full-on slush sailing?   Quite likely it will by Sunday!

This will be a good time to break out all the equipment.  The old blown-out F-01 you havent used in a few years.  The Angles that you cannot remember the last time they were taken out of their runner bag.  And those goofy MAX-T runners that you thought about selling at the swap meet.  At some point this weekend, it is likely that some of that almost forgotten equipment will be magical.

Enough pep talk - here is what I know of so far:

CAUTION:  Spring time ice can be dangerous and change quickly.  Please check conditions carefully and often.  DO NOT SAIL WITHOUT A BUDDY AND ALL OF THE SAFETY EQUIPMENT!  Ice claws, PFD, waterproof radio or cell phone in a ziplock, extra rope, etc.   BE SAFE!

The accuracy of these reports... well I do the best I can.  make some phone calls for yourself first if you have to be sure.  Things will change every 4-8 hours!

Anchor Bay - Mt. Clemens, MI (M-59 and Jefferson).  
US44 reports as of 8AM hard ice.  (See attached picture).  The launch are is a bit of a challenge as parts of it are fenced off.  last week they passed equipment down a wall.  Others picked a launch nearby that required navigating out and around a channel that has thin ice.  Appears to be very sailable now.  And should be Saturday morning as the temps are getting cold again tonight.

Walled Lake / Whitmore Lake - MI
US3 reports that these are good prospects for this weekend.  Whitmore was sailed last weekend and has open water at the SE end.  Recent reports was that it was at 3/4 inch of crust with 25% clear.  Probably improved now, and improving each day.

Muskegon - MI
WMIYC representatives have been chiming in that while snow-covered, Muskegon Lake is sailable espescially if the wind is up enough.  There are some deeper spots, but again as the conditions warm up each day these will likely improve.  At this point they are saying best sailing will be in 10+MPH breeze once snow cover warms and softens.  forecasts are for Sunday rain, so get it done Friday/saturday if you can.

Gull Lake - MI
GLIYC Commodore reported that two ranked sailors were standing on REGATTA ICE on Thursday evening.  It will be sailed Friday.  They anticiapate above freezing temps from today on which will change things rapidly.  The Snow ice will soften quickly so this is another site to take advantage of before it softens up too much.

Elk Lake - MI
No reports from GTIYC, but I wouldn't be surprised if this spot had the best (or only) sailing on Sunday.  We will see if anything comes in.

Green Lake - WI (Yes that is NOT in the Central Region, but hey check it!)
US805 reports that they are hoping for sailing on Green Lake.  They had a lot of snow this past week.  Warming conditions may be favorable for this weekend, but now this site is becoming the favorite for the NORTHWEST REGATTA which might be held there starting on March 15.  This is an ice-yachting extravaganza with all types and sizes represented.  Current DN North American Champ, John Dennis will be there in his Bubble Boat Skeeter which he recently acquired and has done well with so far this season.  Stern steerers, Nites, Renegades, and yes DNs will be there in force.  If this regatta is called on I highly reccomend it!

Thats all I have for now.  Again there are no promises as to SAFETY or SAILABILITY of any of the above sites.  Assume the RISKS, and you may just get the REWARD of a great day or two of sailing.

I will update from time to time as reports roll in.

-Central Lakes Rear Commodore

P.S. I have attached another picture that shows nature cueing us into new runner technology development.  A certain blue-tick hound at C2 has leaked this photo that is of testing going on at DIYC.  Collaboration between a cerain rocket scientist and the inventor/producer of the "Ronnie Runner".  Wait until the "webbed runner" revolutionizes iceboating as we know it!  

KB [us5219]
Class Member

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 07:07:15 AM »

Latest -
Sound like people are sailing at Macatawa (Holland, MI)  unverified reports are that it has the least snow of the western Michigan area.

Anchor Bay was sailed yesterday.  There are some gas holes, but they were going to mark them and stay away from them today.

All I have for now.  Be SAFE! And get a tan while your out there.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: