DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

April 20, 2024, 03:31:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rebuilding a DN for sea scouts  (Read 12040 times)
gary

« on: September 24, 2013, 03:27:25 PM »

I just picked up a DN body.  But it has no mast,boom  sails, Runner, or the out rigger accrost the back. Im trying to restore it for a Sea scout group. Im looking for parts if you can help.
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 05:20:37 PM »

Gary,

Where are you located?
Hopefully we can find someone close who can help.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
Bob Rast DN1313

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 08:40:34 AM »

Depending on how old it is there are somethings you can update .If it is  1960s vintage the  old recorcinal glue may have deteriorated.I rebuilt 2 of these and you may need to remove decking to reglue bulk heads etc if it is in bad shape. The plank is still the same with the exception of different mounting hardware, the mast is same dimensions ,
You can purchase a used mast wood, alumnium or composite, used sail, used runners. You may want to get a set of current plans .Depending where you are located There are always people that will help you get it back on the ice
Do you have any photos that would help determine the age.

Bob Rast DN1313
gary

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 09:29:09 AM »

Im in Vermilion Ohio. the Scout master is in Medina OHio
Dusty Yevsky

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 07:55:13 AM »

Gary, you may want to keep an eye out for a complete DN that's for sale. You need a lot of pieces for your hull. Generally speaking you can often buy a complete turn key DN for a small fraction of what you'll pay for the individual parts, especially if parts need to be shipped. Building part by part is also problematic because not all parts used for DNs through the years are interchangeable. You will have educate yourself on all the hardware that goes on a DN. Unless this hull has some historical or personal value or you like the challenge of rebuilding, you're better off getting a used whole package. The fall and the spring are the best times to buy so keep a lookout.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 08:02:48 AM by Dusty Yevsky » Logged
KB [us5219]
Class Member

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 05:47:45 AM »

A Couple people in your area to contact:
Nick Vitale (Vermilion), and Dick Parker(Medina)
These guys both have been active in the class for many years.
Dick owns Parker Marine Inc.  And if he is agreeable, his business might be a fantastic field trip for a group of scouts.

Getting together with these guys would not only help you make the best decisions on how to make the boat complete and safe, but also give you some very important safety tips should you find ice when its time to go sailing!

I cannot give out their personal information here, but I will attempt to contact them for you!

-Kent Baker
gary

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 10:44:14 AM »

Thanks I know Dick well and did not know he did this
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: