DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

September 22, 2024, 07:16:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for sanding belts  (Read 8867 times)
glovejoy
Class Member

« on: December 19, 2013, 09:06:53 AM »

I'm looking for an online supplier for sanding belts.  I'm looking for 90 inch belts, 2.5 to 3 inches wide.  Also interested in what would be the best type of best to sharpen 440c stainless and also hardened non stainless steel.  Also range of grits recommended.  Thanks,
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 09:10:55 AM by glovejoy » Logged
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 12:05:04 PM »

We get most of our belts from A&H ABrasives: http://www.customsandingbelts.com/
They have reasonable prices, good service, and they can  make any size belt you need.
Their joining technique leaves a small "bump". I've ordered some belts finer than 120, but at those grits the bump becomes very noticeable, so I stick with 120 and coarser belts (which seems to be adequate as a good starting place for hand stoning/polishing).

Klingspor is another supplier people mention: http://www.klingspor.com/
They have a wider range of belts and joints. I've been meaning to call them and get their advice about the best joint & material for finer than 120-grit belts.

I use alumina belts and pay close attention to the part of the belt I'm using and move to an area of fresh grit after a few passes.
I have a couple of coarse-grit (50-36) belts in zirconia and ceramic since they are better at removing large amounts of material (ex. when you are putting the first edge on an unsharpened piece of steel, really changing the profile of a runner, or working with 3/8" and wider runners).

My "go to" range of grits for normal sharpening is pretty small, 80 and 120.
80 is only for really bad runners; most of the time I use 120 (esp. on 3/16" runners) for touching up small nicks or minor profile changes.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 04:11:44 PM by Geoff Sobering » Logged

Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
Bob Rast DN1313

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 08:32:22 AM »

I use mostly aluminum oxide red belts for most steel grits 120 up to 320
I do have a 400 grit klingspor gold for final pass before stoning
There are different lap joints avaulable, you might try a company you can call to specify a smoother lap joint also there are different backing materials available including a cloth instead of  poly
Here is a link that explains  butt joints available
http://www.productionabrasives.com/index.php/products/belts/splices
When using standard butt  joint with finer grits ,220, 320 it is best to just lightly touch runner to belt VS applying any pressure
Just barely touch the runner to belt

Bob Rast DN1313

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 08:58:47 AM »

I think the woodworking suppliers will only be  using butt joints as it doesn't matter for wood , try a company that advertises metal finishing they  might have more options
Let us know what you find out there

Happy sanding
Bob Rast DN1313
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: