angle runners

(1/1)

sonic:
Building my first set of runners.. Have everything in place my question is i used a piece of solid maple 7/8 in thickness for the body. Should i run some groves in it to prevent cracking? Is it worth using carbon on the sides to make it 1inch?

wnethercote:
I am building a new set of angles using two pieces of nominal 1/2 in (12mm) Baltic birch plywood. I laid up a single layer of glass on 45-45 axis on each side for abrasion resistance. My current angle runners s were simply made of a single piece of 1 inch hard maple, varnished, and I've used them on and off for 20 years.  Adding carbon fiber to slush runners would be regarded as gold plating by many.  Many people just glue on Arborite on both sides.

sonic:
Glad 2 hear they held up for 20 years! I probably should of went 1'' n varnished but thats not a option now.Might give 1/16 mica a try first and see how that holds up

Paul Goodwin - US 46:
Hey Sonic.  I think you made the perfect choice with 7/8" solid maple.  I'm not sure what you mean by "run some groves in it to prevent cracking".  Keep in mind, the 7/8" must be solid wood, no cutting grooves and laying in glass or carbon (if that's what you were thinking of).

I think it makes sense to build the runner body up to 1" thickness to match most typical NA runners.  Using carbon would be like gold plating a turd, so this is the perfect place for a glass cloth layup.  You should build up the 1/16" thickness in a single layup session - this creates the strongest layup.  The question is how many layers of glass is 1/16"? 

You can use calipers to measure the thickness of dry glass cloth, it will grow a little with resin but will be pretty close.  I would make an experimental layup with the number of layers you think it will take, maybe a couple inches square.  Be sure to squeegee it out really good.  Measure the sample after it has hardened and make adjustments to the number of layers you will need.

Note: it is easier to add another layer if you end up a little thin.  Grinding off glass if the runner is too thick is no fun at all.

sonic:
Thanks Paul I ended up using formica for the sides and have it at 1''. Pretty cool to see them all ready for the ice!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index