DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

September 21, 2024, 02:42:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ohio Ice  (Read 11676 times)
KB [us5219]
Class Member

« on: February 24, 2014, 09:38:11 AM »

Sandusky Bay and Maumee Bay were sailed this past weekend.  There was some shell-ice issues and some crack/heave dangers but they were pretty easy to see. 

Maumee Bay: had NO SNOW on it, but the old melted drifts still had rough impressions on the surface.  The warm weather and high winds evaporated much of the liquid water from the slush, resulting in areas that runners would plunge through about 1-2" to hard ice underneath.
No damages were reported and a group of 5 DN's and 1 Sweet-16 took a trip from Point Place to North Cape Yacht Club (LaSalle, MI) by way of Turtle Island.   2-15 meter stern-steerers were amongst the other boats that stayed in the safe confines of Southern Maumee Bay.
Some sailors are hoping to make a trip to the Toledo Lighthouse on Thursday weather permitting.
TIYC hopes for club racing and a Lighthouse trip this coming weekend.  Cold temps should abate the shell ice issues, and light snow/wind/sun could further polish the ice surface.

KB [us5219]
Class Member

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 07:15:42 AM »

Bob Foeller reports that the Maumee Bay ice has firmed up nicely.  Shell ice should no longer be an issue.  I plan on putting my DN on the ice today and sailing at least a little everyday I can until the weather forces me not to.  Additionally, we will be looking for the best area for racing and try to get some scrub or club races in this weekend.  There is a nice plate beyond a heave (that can now be sailed around instead of over).  I have not heard anything from Michigan so far...  I will give more pictures and reports as available.  So far everything appears to be safe, but bumpy.
gaber

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 02:34:23 PM »

Alum Creek in Lewis Center (Central Ohio) has also been sailed Monday 24 February 2014. 
KB [us5219]
Class Member

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 07:33:02 AM »

Central Rear Commodore Bill Cutting has determined that no Regional Regatta Quality Ice exists in Ohio or Michigan for this weekend.
At this time I believe that there is Sailable Ice in Sandusky Bay, and on Alum Creek (North of Columbus).
I welcome any detailed reports from sailors who have sailed those sites in the last few days.

Maumee Bay - Rated a "3" out of "10".  Is relatively "safe" but bumpy.  No snow on the ice, but appears to have a dusting this morning.  High winds should blow that off, and hopefully highlight the cracks and heaves for better visibility.   The ice is refrozen drifted snow that was melted down from the 1" of rain and warm temps we had last week.  There are places where the wind and dry air evaporated the water enough to form dry shell-ice most of this is near shore or near heaves.  This has proven to be more of a nuisance than a danger, although applying foot-brakes in shell ice, can lead to a broken or sprained ankle.
There are two main areas to sail.  The original (normal plate) that is accessible from the homes of Point Place and the so-called "public launch" at 125th street. (This is a deed-restricted access, so all people must quickly move parked cars to make room.  And be respectful of trash, neighbors, and property.
Other possible launches will be checked into.
Again we have NOT determined that there will be any large regatta, but only club racing.  (Final determinations will be  made Friday night at the meeting).  While ONLY CLUB RACES will be planned, we shall have contingency plans for scrub racing for all.  because the course will be set and maintained by TIYC - ALL PARTICIPANTS MUST HAVE AND SHOW PROOF OF INSURANCE - EVEN IF ONLY SCRUB RACING THE COURSE.
See the attached map image outlining the sailing areas. 
Again this is not great regatta quality ice.  But its classic Maumee Bay.  DN's have been launched and sailed to the Western Bay as far north as LaSalle, MI.  And we have sailed as far East as the Toledo Light House which has not been done in probably 30-40 years.
-US 5219
KB [us5219]
Class Member

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 08:04:17 AM »

Anyone who is planning on traveling to Toledo this weekend, please send me a message and tell me who is coming.  This will help TIYC and its race committee in planning this weekends events.  Final determinations will be done at the Meeting 8 PM Friday held at ORYC.  You are also welcome to attend the meeting as a guest if you are in town.
My mail is:  (encrypted for human eyes).  kentb {@] bex (dot} net
or text/call- four 19 five-O 9iner five5 two anda six.
I can also answer any questions regarding insurance, lodging, etc.
Don't be fooled by the organization here, the ice is not that fantastic... so we don't want your hopes up.
-KB
KB [us5219]
Class Member

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 06:18:03 PM »

We have scrubbed attempts to re-check ice beyond Bay point due to new cracks, and movement that happened beneath us. Cruising to Turtle Island or the Lighthouse is now dangerous or impossible and NOT RECCOMENDED.   Our focus will be on sailing the Western Maumee Bay, and possibly racing the plate to the East of that depending on further scouting results.
 The western most end near grassy island cut has open water (Maumee River just flooded). As always stay away from there.
Ice is rough.  About a 3 or 4.  No snow on the surface, but no runner grabbers or any damages reported from our racing areas.
TIYC will hold club races with DN's, 15 Meters, and anything else that will line up, I imagine.
-Kent
740sailor

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 10:41:32 PM »

Alum Creek in Columbus, OH has hard ice.   I sailed it Monday and Tuesday this week with an old DN.  No snow, but bumpy.  One DN sailed today at slightly more than half speed in light ~7mph wind. 
KB [us5219]
Class Member

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 07:10:25 AM »

TIYC Club Racing to start at 11 AM.   Skippers meeting @ 10AM near Lesters House (134th street where most of the boats are moored)
I have attached a Map that shows where things are and what to avoid.
Go to https://www.facebook.com/toledoice  to see pictures and updates. 
I will stop clogging this thread now!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: