DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

September 23, 2024, 01:36:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Responses to April 2014 Runner Tracks Articles  (Read 6898 times)
rlc
Class Member

« on: April 23, 2014, 10:12:45 AM »

Both Andre Baby(KC 4360) and myself(US 3433) wrote articles for the latest Runner Tracks and it is my hope that there will be further discussion in this forum.  Andre wrote as a response to my article.  Although he raises a few interesting points I generally disagree with his point of view which in effect would have us do nothing about the current low regatta attendance and diminished overall class membership.  I will address a couple of his points in this response.

First, I really doubt if there were more than four people under age forty at the last Annual Meeting.  The young scorer doesn’t count because she isn’t a member.  The Annual Meeting is and has been dominated by older sailors with time and money for a long time.

Second, Andre likens the defeated proposal to the prior system of infinite postponements.  This was not, and is not the case.  The proposal contained an allowance for one and only one specified postponement, and I am not suggesting a return to postponements in the article. 

Third, Andre would like to ignore the correlation between the dues increase and the membership decline.  This is unrealistic, and the evidence is clear.  That damage cannot be undone, and should not be repeated.  We need to add value to being a member.  The point is that we need to do something about membership numbers if the class is to survive. 

Lastly, I would agree with Andre that the concept of a three day regatta in the off year does present certain time/cost/benefit challenges under the current regional rotation system.  I suggested that in order to alleviate this problem we should consider favoring the Central Region for hosting the North American’s in the off year.  Perhaps this could be taken a step further and the Central Region could be encouraged to host their regional regatta just before or just after the North Americans.  (These possible changes were not in the draft of the article that was sent to Andre prior to publication in RT.)

My main objective behind writing the article was to put some numerical evidence behind what has happened to our class and our regattas.  Furthermore I hope that the officers and everyone else are encouraged to think outside the box and suggest ideas for improving the situation.  This forum should be an ideal place to do that and I hope everyone will take an opportunity to do so.  Simply repeating current procedures and hoping for different results may well result in disaster. 
DN 5449
Class Member

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 04:09:18 PM »

One observation I have is that I agree this Forum has to be better utilized.For Myself I am very dependent on info that is passed thru this Forum.Although there is many websites for each DN groups and regions,this should be the Mother Board.
Case in point is the Canadian Nationals where held this year in Kingston.Never was any info posted here,then they wonder what they need to do to increase attendance?
Even when it comes to reporting conditions,info seems to be vague and sparse at best.Maybe I am just a little grumpy from so little iceboating this year,but I really believe communication can be vastly improved in this Class.
Having said that the good news is iceboating conditions are still a strong possibility here in Thunder Bay this Spring.If and when they occur I will gladly post with pics.
Not sure any of that added to the previous discussion.
Chad Atkins
Class Member

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 01:39:40 PM »

I am one of the under 40's you mention, One other NE'er was actually under 30.
 I strongly agree with the championship week as it is; One small revision we could make-  In the NA only year is to register on monday night instead of sunday,  this would allow the furthest traveled to leave on friday night not thursday. I plan my vacation time around these events with my family and work knowing that is the week, not it was postponed...maybe two weeks from now I will leave again, or the weekend after that.  I do not like giving any one region first dibs year after year for NA's ice, Rotation is a good thing- That alone increases numbers, look at the attendance at the Eastern's this year after the NA's came east!
  I would think raising dues to $30 (I would pay more for what I am getting now), should not effect the class membership numbers that much as it is still one of the lowest sailing memberships out there- The US A Class association is also still $25 (I think), The Lightning is $45, and all very reasonable! As for what you get- the A class, you get to sail in your district, National and World class events. The lightning you get E Flashes (electronic newsletter quarterly I believe) and a CD yearbook at the end of the year. If there is a younger sailor who wants to be a member but financially can't, see if there is a way to get that membership purchased as a gift from their family or maybe the local club would step in and help a brother or sister out.
  The age gap is tough, I have just recently been able to build and purchase my own complete program (2010) and before that borrowed my fathers gear with some small pieces and parts that I could make or purchase (2006,2008,2009).  In New England our main issue attracting a younger crowd is nearby ice (on the weekends!) But lately by the time we can safely scout ice and look over weather patterns to make a decision on where to sail,  it is to late and most have made plans to do other things.
 This sport and especially this class is the most fascinating  thing I have been a part of, Getting people on the ice with those rigs bending will sell itself!  I mean really, where else can you drive around half a country- or two and sail the championship 5 hours from home on ice that was not there 3 days before?!!
   Cheers, Chad Atkins
                US 4487
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: