DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

March 28, 2024, 04:04:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New twist on the chain-stitch (aka "braided" ) mainsheet  (Read 14790 times)
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« on: June 10, 2014, 11:42:57 AM »

I really like the chain-stitch/braided mainsheet, but it is a bit difficult to get the chain-stitched part through blocks smaller than 57mm.

To try and improve things, I am experimenting with a "composite" construction.
The chain-stitch is done using 3mm (~1/8") double-braid line instead of the usual 3/16". This line is not strong enough to handle the mainsheet loads itself, so a 3mm Dyneema single-braid line is used for the un-tapered part and woven through the center of the chain-stitch section to carry the sheet-tension.

This gives a slightly smaller diameter chain-stitched portion of the sheet (the primary goal). A secondary benefit is a smaller diameter line running through the blocks at the back of the boom.

Here's some more information: http://performancesailingproducts.com/HiTechChainstitchMainsheetPrototype.html

Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
Bob Rast DN1313

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 10:27:14 PM »

make a cone at front o f the knot, use some carpet foam or similar and wrap with sail thread and coat with some epoxy  to keep it together 
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 11:58:05 AM »

An update: a friend is using the sheet on my loaner DN and he seems to like it a lot.

I used it on my blokartŪ at Ivanpah in November and it worked really well.
It's a perfect fit for the blokartŪ because we use 57mm ratchets and ~29mm sheet blocks.
Currently the class limits mainsheet diameter to a minimum of 6mm. Hopefully they will eliminate that restriction.

Bob Gray
Class Member

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 02:45:35 PM »

I made one up using some type of 4 mm line I got from the local sail loft. It works great and I'm even using double ratchet blocks. It's also plenty strong enough.
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 03:04:51 PM »

I made one up using some type of 4 mm line I got from the local sail loft. It works great and I'm even using double ratchet blocks. It's also plenty strong enough.

Thanks for the report. I also made one with 4mm "Finish Line" (850 lbs. breaking). I haven't used it yet, but I think it may be a nice compromise between the typical 3/16" (4.8mm) and the "almost too small" 3mm+"core". I was a little worried about strength, but I'll give it a try soon.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: