Anyone have a DXF or DWG of Jan Adsten's Insert Runner Plan?

(1/2) > >>

wnethercote:
The Yahoo Iceboating Group 'files' section has a WORD file (insertrunnercrownplan.doc) with an embedded image of a drawing for a European 36 inch insert runner.  I'd like to make a new set of 'knock-about' 36 inch inserts for casual or pit use, and I can get 304 or 316SS water-jet cut locally for way less effort than my usual handraulic (hacksaw and grinder) approach to producing an insert blank with crown.  I don't want to simply buy 440inserts for this because it's way too painful to deal with the resulting knicks after sailing on some of our salt-water sites that run alongside sanded roads.

A friend here has already done a DXF and DWG of the Goodwin insert from Runner Tracks, but that drawing shows no crown, which negates the attraction of paying someone to water-jet a blank.

Has anyone produced a DXF or DWG of the Adsten insert from that WORD file that they would be prepared to share? 

Warren Nethercote
DN 3786

Paul Goodwin - US 46:
A word of warning...  the profile I had in my "How To" article was generated for the first set of inserts I made, and was based on the profile from a set of Russian T runners.  This was an old-school runner that had a lot of lead-in, and I would not recommend it for a mainstream insert runner.  Instead I would go for a lead-in profile close to a Sarns Bullnose runner.

I looked for the Jan Adsten drawing, but could not find it on my computer.  I don't remember the exact profile in the article, but I would caution using it to generate a profile for water jet cutting.  As I recall the bottom of the runner had an exaggerated crown to make it visible.  Most graphics for articles do not have the accuracy desired for a machine setup.

wnethercote:
Paul,

Thank you for your comment.

If I am lucky I will be able to post the Adsten as a pdf here (converted from the WORD file).  Someone annotated it with 17 inches of 0.008 in. crown.  The 0.2mm offset at the after crown limit converts to 0.0079 thou, so it seems like a realistic drawing rather than an information sketch. 

I may have found someone to redraw it for me.  Whether the lead in is acceptable is the next question (Your opinion would be welcome).  It is probably no worse that anything I would do with my Mk 1 eyeball!  (Unfortunately, when I sold my previous boat this spring the buyer wanted my Sarns runners, so I don't have those for guidance)

Warren

wnethercote:
Today I received a .dwg of the Adsten blade (courtesy of a friendly draftsman) and the crown based on the Adsten dimensions (not the drawn profile) is much less pronounced than as 'illustrated' by Jan Adsten.  I am getting a quotation for water jetting, and if the end result works out I will post the .dwg.  Paul's cautionary comment about exaggerated crown is more than apparent when you print the .dwg and compare it to the source illustration.

wnethercote:
Today I received four water-jetted blanks for Adsten runners, two in 3/16 SS316 (at $51CDN plus HST ea)and two in 1/4 SS316 (at $59CDN plus HST ea).  I will attach the a photo plus a dwg (if I am allowed - NOT!).  You will see that the lifted exhaust has not been machined (or drawn).  I will do that by hand and eye.

I am happy with the end result.  The water-jetted blanks from plate are little more expensive than flat-bar stock, especially counted against the grief of shaping the forward end of the insert.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page