DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

March 28, 2024, 05:55:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Runner Storage idea for Summer?  (Read 8280 times)
Mark Isabell - DN5014
ADMIN

« on: April 05, 2007, 03:46:40 PM »

Now that the season is over I was woundering what other DN'er do to store their runners for the HOT HUMID summer months?  Where do you store your runner?  Basement or Bedroom?  Do you wipe your runners down with oil?  What have you found to work the best?

This year I am planning on storing them upstairs with a light coating of gun oil.  Is this the smart thing to do?

KB [us5219]
Class Member

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 06:19:25 AM »

Last year I carelessly left my Plates in the basement...  never again!  That maneuver cost me a lot of time at the sharpner.  Now that I have aquired a set of Ronny-runners the whole collection is going in a corner of a closet where humidity and temperature will remain somwhat stable.  I subscribe to the heavier-weight oil coating (say 50-weight?)  But I wonder if anyone else something better that works to coat them, perhaps a spray-on lube?

Because I live on the lake and dont use air conditioning much, I put the runners in plastic boxes that are somewhat airtight.  You can put a silica dessicant (either recycled from packing, or you can buy at marine stores) in the box to absorb excess moisture.

-Kent Baker

Bob Gray
Class Member

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 12:44:03 PM »

I find that 30wt. oil works just fine. All the regular steel runners rust badly but 440c stain will also rust a little if you aren't careful. The main thing is to store them in a dry place. I actually coat my runners with Marvel Mystery Oil. 
Scott Brown
Class Member

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 03:43:21 PM »

I use white lithium grease that comes in a tube, like toothpaste.  Squeeze about an inch worth onto your  thumb and forefinger, and then spread the grease along the edge.  Because it's thick and has body, it keeps air off the metal. 
T Thieler US 5224

Of course I respect you...

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 12:26:56 PM »

I live right by the ocean in Rhode Island where the hot, humid, salt air will devour anything metal. 

When I store my runners for the summer I wipe them down with WD-40 and then when that has dried off I hit them with a coat of Boeshield T-9.  It's cool stuff- you spray it on and it leaves a yellowish, waxy, greasy coating on the steel.

Been using it since 1999 and haven't had a spot of rust yet!

I also keep them under my bed on the second floor- don't even think of putting them in the basement...

Cheers, Mr. T.

Ice is nice, heat is beat...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: