DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

March 29, 2024, 06:38:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Short-Tacking the start  (Read 14176 times)
KB [us5219]
Class Member

« on: November 07, 2014, 07:00:50 AM »

Over the years I have noticed racers that tack immediately after the start.  Usually there is one or two in each fleet.
I used to get upset at this, thinking this is dangerous, especially for race committee that will be on the course in the area those individuals would be sailing through.

Now...  the flip side of the coin.  Its light-medium air, the ice is a bit sticky.  The competition on either side of you are going to out-run you no matter what.  The reasons vary.   Perhaps you stayed out with Ollie too late last night.  Maybe you twisted your ankle trying to get into the breakfast buffet line ahead of Chad...  Or is it that the guys next to you can add their ages together to approximate yours?

So yes...  A lot of the race is determined at the start.  And for some, the ability to tack out right away is important to minimize loss and gain speed.

Is this worth the safety compromise?   Has there ever been an incident with this scenario?  Should the NIA or the IDNIYRA forbid this maneuver?  Common accepted practice is that you at least clear the leeward mark on your first tack.  This is not a rule (yet?), but I believe it is forbidden in European Competition. 
dnus4925

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 07:20:30 AM »

Would'nt it make sense, that if we were to institute the use of Darling marks, that you have to clear the Darling mark befor tacking?
KB [us5219]
Class Member

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 07:51:07 AM »

Sure...  Of course, we should simplify the Darling Mark rules by making the "No Go Zone" regardless of what lap or leg you are on.  And IF a darling mark rule is made, I am pretty sure it will not allow passing to leeward. 

BUT if there isn't a Darling mark (because at this time there is NOT) should starting boats on first leg be prohibited from passing to leeward of the leeward mark?  (My guess is there will be a resounding "Yes") but curious if there are some people that want to argue a case here.
DN 805
Class Member

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 05:37:44 PM »

The issue is already addressed in the NIA rules.
Part II Management of Races
E. Starting
E.1.b.  The leeward MARK does not have a required side until a yacht has rounded the windward MARK for the first time.

When a race organizer has announced that the races are according to the Racing Rules of the National Iceboat Authority,
II. E.1.b. governs.

best regards
DN  805
KB [us5219]
Class Member

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 06:52:25 AM »

Yes, precisely. The NIA does NOT prohibit this practice.  That is the point here.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: