DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

March 29, 2024, 01:04:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fuselage measurements  (Read 7692 times)
Bob Gray
Class Member

« on: April 16, 2007, 11:10:33 AM »

I am about to build a new boat and am planning to tilt the steering post 4 degrees. When you lay out a boat with a vertical axis, all the dimensions are clear to follow. When it's tilted they are not so clear. Spec. A.6. (seatback/cockpit floor intersection) referes to the steering runner pivot pin as the datum point. Specs F.1. (runner base) and H.11. ( mast step ball location) refer to the steering runner pivot axis. This may not seem a big deal but these new boats tend to push the spec limits (particularily to the rear) and no one wants to build an illegal boat. If you tilt the axis 4 degrees it will vary about 1/2" from the top of the deck to the pivot pin. I just want to know where the actual datum is.
DN 805
Class Member

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 01:04:49 PM »

Hi Bob
Take the fore and aft measurements from the bolt in the front chock that goes through the runner. 

Incidentally, I believe you will find that only a very few of the top contenders in the fleet are  "pushing" the maximums and minimums in the fuselage construction.  Most of the top boats are comfortably with in the maximums and minimums of the specs. 

regards
Jane Pegel
Bob Gray
Class Member

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 01:41:30 PM »

Thanks Jane,  That's the place I was hoping for. My main concern was using the alternate plank attach plates since you only have 1/2" to play with.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: