DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

October 28, 2021, 10:31:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: 13-14 season: 2014 IDNIYRA -Western Regional Regatta - NOR & Registration  (Read 12283 times)
Ken Smith
ADMIN

Posts: 289


sail often, travel light


« on: January 01, 2014, 05:54:53 AM »

Julie,
We anxiously wonder, where are these sites?

Happy New Year!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 09:51:42 PM by Ken Smith » Logged

Ken Smith
DN4137US
juliejsail
Class Officer
***
Posts: 69


« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 07:12:38 PM »

We have race-able ice on Green Lake, WI.  The other sailable lakes we have been watching have been snowed out.  Green Lake was sailed Tuesday and today, January 1st, by a skeeter, Nite and DN3271.  We have a 2 mile square area at County Park off of Hwy K on the southwest corner of the lake.  The ice is a large orange-peel texture and is over 50% covered with light snow (1/2") and 20-30% drifts as high as one and a half inch.  There was no trouble sailing in a 10 mph or more breeze.  We are watching the forecast and final decision will be made by 6 PM Thursday.  If it's a "go" launch site and hotel info will be provided at that time.
Julie J
Logged
Geoff Sobering
Class Officer
***
Posts: 461



WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 04:03:13 PM »

[Posted for Julie who is "off the grid" in sunny Florida through the weekend...]

The plan is to run the Westerns March 22-23.
Green Lake would seem like a possible spot, and there are other lakes in southern WI that may also be available by then.

Watch here for more information next week!
Logged

Man Why You Even Got to Do a Thing
juliejsail
Class Officer
***
Posts: 69


« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 05:37:33 PM »

Official word will be here for Westerns.  Yes, We are tentative for this weekend March 22-23.  Final confirmation and location to be made by Thursday PM. Ice and landing reports welcome...920-295-9835 Julie J
Logged
juliejsail
Class Officer
***
Posts: 69


« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 12:00:56 PM »

The 2014 Western Regionals is postponed.  Stay tuned for updates for the following weekend... If conditions should be better on Sunday than projected, please use this time on your local lakes to introduce your list of newbies to our sport.  The only down-side to regattas, as a group of us discussed at a
Think-Tank on growing the sport 3 years ago, is that most of the action is in one location in each region...thus minimizing our ability to showcase what we do to a larger, more widespread, audience of prospectives...If at all possible, please make Sunday your local club's "take a newbie for a ride day" !!  Hope to see you on the ice (not slush) soon.  Julie J
Logged
juliejsail
Class Officer
***
Posts: 69


« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 09:10:09 PM »

Hopefully this thread comes to a successful conclusion soon...but in the meantime...the possibility of a Western Regional Regatta still exsists.  We have promising sites in Wisconsin yet...but will wait until Thursday PM for final decision on this weekend.  Please contact me with any favorable ice reports.  JJ
Logged
juliejsail
Class Officer
***
Posts: 69


« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 08:23:21 AM »

Deb is having issues with iceboat.org from her location in Las Vegas where she is helping at a landsailing regatta.
Let your friends know that the ISA Regatta has been called on on Green Lake with races to start Friday AM March 28.
Watch here for info on our Western Regional...I am watching the rain / wintry mix forecasted for today / tonight and may push back my call until 8AM Friday ...Thanks for your patience.   JJ
Logged
juliejsail
Class Officer
***
Posts: 69


« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 08:34:32 AM »

The Western Regionals for this season is canceled.  Check back in November for our attempt to complete the 2014 Championship.....After the rain last night we have 2 inches of standing water on Green Lake.  Drain holes have opened up and cracks have widened.  With the warm temps forecasted I have decided to pull the plug for the spring...Should a sudden cold spell preserve our 2'+ thick ice (who knows with the way this winter has gone !!) ..we will mark ice issues and keep everyone in the loop so we can atleast share some more scrub racing, if possible, on Big Green. Please share word of sailability of your lakes as well.  (..as of this post..the ISA is still debating what they will do here on Big Green..) Thanks, Julie J
Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1 RC3 | SMF © 2001-2006, Lewis Media Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!