2015 Central Regional Regatta

(1/2) > >>

The 2015 Central Regional regatta is preliminarily scheduled for January 10th and 11th. Mark your calender this will be great preparation for this years Gold cup and North Americans.
Think Ice!

Bill Cutting
Central Regional Rear Commodore

KB [us5219]:
Lots of interesting weather all over the central region this week.  Temps will drop dramatically by mid-week, creating the possibility of brand-new fresh ice.  (The same likely applies in the Western Region as well).  Please keep your eyes, and ears open, and plan on taking some drives past the known local sailing sites to report to your regional commodores.  Central Region Champs is scheduled for this weekend!

  The 2015 Central regionals are currently postponed due to lack of a suitable venue. Cass lake has developed a large heave across the center of the lake that would prevent a large enough course for the regatta. Scrub racing is a possibility for the weekend on either Cass lake or Walled lake in the Metro Detriot area.
Note* neither of these lakes have been sailed yet! Check the central region hotline before venturing out.
Thanks to Jim Grogan and Don Niles for walking out on Cass lake in 5 deg with 30 mph winds for a preliminary ice check.
We can try again after the Gold cup so please keep your eyes open for suitable conditions.

Think Ice

Bill Cutting
Central regional rear Commodore

KB [us5219]:
Attention all DN Sailors.

At this particular time, Alum Creek - north of Columbus Ohio shows promise to be the best venue for this coming weekend for the Central Lakes Championships.

It is snow-ice over solid ice.  Has some bumps, but is snow-free after the weekends heat-wave.  (before that it had 2" or less).  There were 7 local boats sailing over the weekend.
The Alum Creek State Park has expedited our application for use of the launch, and we appear to have a thumbs up from the local authorities.
My plan is to personally check and sail the ice on Wednesday and/or Thursday to make the call "ON" for the regatta.  Hopefully BY Thursday Late morning.
If the ice is too bumpy or the weather too questionable, or a combination of both, we will postpone.  IF somebody has a better venue, please step up and share the info.  Meanwhile, the locals are being of great help down there. So THINK ICE!


More details as things shape up...

-Kent Baker

KB [us5219]:
Hello Everybody -

Alum creek continues to show great ice conditions with no snow on the surface.   Temps today should continue to improve the ice.

The bad news:  It needs to be sailed tomorrow (after todays warm-up) to test the conditions.  Forecasted Winds in the 25-30 MPH range are not conducive to that.
Worse news.  Saturdays forecast is for 20-29 MPH winds.  Because the lake will not allow much more than 3/4-7/8 mile course in the West-to-East direction, this is not acceptable conditions for more than 10-15 boats in a fleet. (we know we should get 20-30+ each fleet).
Nail in the coffin news:  The high temp on Sunday is:  7 degrees. 

Add to that the longer distance traveled by most sailors, and what the heck, lets throw in the Valentines day thingy while were at it...

So - after going through the motions of applying for a permit to hold our regatta there, It looks to be in our best interest to try it another weekend someplace.

Thanks to local sailor, John Wargo for the updates and pictures during the week!  And also thanks to Jane Stites and Jason Meyers at Alum Creek state park for helping expedite the permit process and making us welcome there.

If anyone is interested in a good day of sailing, I am willing to go all day Friday to Alum Creek.  Conditions appear good that day - 9-15 MPH with a high of 22 degrees.

-Kent   US 5219


[0] Message Index

[#] Next page