Dan Hearn Proposal - Grow through youth involvement

<< < (5/5)

jori:
Would my two cents be useful? I think this is a good, sound proposal, Dan. Here is my reality: If I can get my 11-year-old into an Opti for some local races this winter, while I race against my 14-year-old in our DNs, that would be ideal, of course. Obviously, I worry about losing my own racing time to help with the Opti Fleet, even if my own kid is in it. This makes me look rather selfish when compared to all you have done, Dan, but I cannot deny the "selfish" factor when we have so little racing time as it is. Yet, of course, I would volunteer some of my time--in reasonable proportion to how much DN time I can get-- to help with the Optis if I have a child sailing one. Traveling with my kids and Optis/DNs outside of Madison is another issue for us; this would also be a case-by-case decision. I had a lot on my runner plate just dealing with my own boat up on Green Bay this winter. Hope this input helps.
Jori Lenon
DN-27/5172/5397(new)
Madison, WI

jori:
I forgot to mention my budget reality, too. Finances are very tight this year, in part because I am building a new DN, but next year I would commit financially to helping finance a 4LIYC Opti.
Jori

Wes Wilcox:
The Twenty-O-Eight Initiative - Count me in.  Here’s why:

Most of us take a lot for granted, with our boat in hand, once we find the time to travel to the next regatta, most of the work for us is in setting up the rig and figuring out what settings, runners and sail to use.  That’s really not the case for quite a few movers and shakers who have already put in numerous hours of prepping for the event. Such as locating, scouting, paperwork, web work and countless e-mails and phone calls not to mention the time, effort, coordination and manpower to actually run the regatta.

At some point in the future it will be time to pass the torch to the next generation of ice sailors.  Whether it’s 5, 10, or 20 years from now, it will happen, one way or the other.  When most of us are in our 60’s, 70’s, 80’s or more, who will be the driving force behind continuing the class.  When each of us may have to dig that much deeper to find the energy or motivation to get ourselves out on the ice, who will be putting in the time and effort setting up and running the regatta and making sure us “old guys” have a scouted out, safe place to sail and maybe race if we still can.  Wouldn’t it be great if those next generation folks were around right now for us to share with and pass on what we’ve learned over the many fun filled seasons we’ve been fortunate enough to experience.

When you look around at any of the regattas’, who and where are the next generation of commodores, regatta chairs, local and national officials and the various foot soldiers and participants it takes to make this a sport?   We need to make some things happen now in order to have a chance for things to continue into the future. 

I for one, have not heard of another proposal or suggestion(s), other than the one presented here, that addresses this concern.  If there was a time proven set of guidelines that we could follow and be guaranteed would produce the results we are looking for, I’m sure we’d follow them. I don’t think they exist.  However, what we do have is a proposal that offers a way to help address the sustainability of our sport.  Are there some risks, sure, but the benefits would seem to far out weight them.  What’s at risk?  Probably the biggest one would be the funds that would go towards building the ice-optis if you actually call this a risk.  On a balance sheet, those funds would not be lost but rather “invested”.  The money would be turned into hardware to be used over and over again.  Other than the proposed dollars, I’m not really seeing anything that represents a “risk” other than doing nothing.  And, there is risk in doing nothing unless someone has already found a way to bring onboard the next generation of movers and shakers.

"Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page