DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

March 29, 2024, 04:32:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Plate runner rust prevention  (Read 8030 times)
Mike Barnett (DN 5507)

« on: January 18, 2015, 10:37:05 PM »

Pulled my plates out of the box today to find the edges all rusty, even after I sprayed with Wd-40 after the last time I had them out.

The sides are painted so no issue their, just the edges. 

Anyone out there figure out how to prevent steel runners from rusting short off smearing on bearing grease to the blades.  I've given up on WD-40.  My sailing partner suggested beeswax, but that did not work for me either when I tried it for storing the blades in the off season.

Thanks,
Mike
Scott Brown
Class Member

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 05:57:41 AM »

For long storage, coat with lithium grease.  Pick up a small tube at about any hardware or auto parts store.  Dry the runner.  Squeeze about a 1/2" on to your thumb and middle finger, and then gradually run your fingers from one end of the bottom edge to the other.   Check to see that no spots go missed.  Wipe clean before sailing.

My plates sit in the box with edges up.  When storing for just a night, I dry them well, put in the box, and then amply spray with WD40. 

browner
wnethercote
Class Member

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 07:35:38 AM »

I always used WD-40 with success, keeping the runners edge up and spraying WD 40 everywhere.  I sold my Sarns runners with my last boat and built replacement slippers out of stainless, so my problem went away.  :-)

A sailing partner treats his carbon steel runners with aerosol Rust-Chek.  Perhaps even messier than WD 40, but more effective.  Acts like a lubricant too in chock.
Bob Gray
Class Member

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 08:14:54 AM »

I've use plain old automotive oil for years. It's cheap, easy to find , and very effective ( have you ever seen an oil coated part on your car rust).  I typically soak a rag in oil then apply a thin coat to the runner. Another thing I do is to keep a oil soaked rag in a zip lock bag and wipe runners down after use. Bob
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: