DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

March 28, 2024, 11:08:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: deck blocks adjustment  (Read 11480 times)
w.matheson

« on: March 10, 2016, 04:25:58 PM »

Some people use track and other devices to adjust deck blocks fore and aft. Others just fix the blocks all the way aft. My question ,is it an advantage to have adjustment in the deck blocks ? Is it a way to tune the boat related to lee -weather helm ? I am rigging a boat and was wondering if the extra work and expense of installing a means of adjustment here was worthwhile. Any input would be appreciated.cheers Wayne Matheson
wnethercote
Class Member

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 07:40:12 PM »

You can adjust the blocks on the deck or on the boom - or both.  I coarse adjust on the boom and fine adjust on deck.  The adjustment controls the degree to which you pull aft on the boom to help de-rotate the mast.
w.matheson

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 08:36:45 PM »

Thanks for the quick response warren. I am aware that you want to be able to adjust the blocks so that they either push or pull against the boom .what I don't understand is why you need two ways to do the same thing. My boom will adjust so that I can have the boom push or pull the boom as much as you would ever need and it has infinite adjustment so I can position it exactly where I want it . Why would I need adjustment on the deck blocks ,unless there is some other advantage of being able to adjust the deck blocks fore and aft  . does changing the position of the deck blocks effect the balance of the boat ie weather or lee helm
Bob Gray
Class Member

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 07:58:58 AM »

On most boats it's a lot easier to adjust deck blocks then boom blocks. So like Warren said you put the base setting on your boom and use the deck block to make the quick and easy changes  you may have to do between races.
KB [us5219]
Class Member

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 08:26:57 AM »

Some (like the current NA champ) have fixed deck blocks that are located as far aft as practical.  Then adjustment is done in the boom.  I have a harken track which allows adjustment on the deck, but I really only use it as a quick-release for the sheet blocks when parking the boat in windy and shifty conditions.  My boom adjusts in 3/4" increments, others adjust infinitely with a screw mechanism.
KB [us5219]
Class Member

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 08:29:34 AM »

BTW, (in my opinion) the sheeting system should always be pulling the boom away from the mast somewhat.  The degree to which it pulls, is where preference, tuning, and conditions come in to play. 
w.matheson

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 06:15:33 PM »

Thanks for the input. Because I believe in simplicity and wasn't looking forward to extra expense and weight of another set of cars and track
 ,I am going fix the blocks aft ,on a 2" riser block .cheers Wayne Matheson
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: