DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

November 17, 2018, 11:29:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2018 North American Championship  (Read 2350 times)
Deb Whitehorse
ADMIN

Posts: 117



« on: January 16, 2018, 05:57:33 PM »

Racers
On behalf of the Race Organizers and Governing Committee, we will hope to make the final call for the 2018 NAs this Thursday at 9 PM EST. As usual the weather is unsettled, and a snowstorm has just or is about to affect many of the potential locations. We simply have to let it pass before we can make a good decision.

Currently we are looking at multiple sites, as far east as Sebago Lake in ME, as far west as Michigan, and at locations in Canada.
When we know where we are going- we will let you know. If you know of good sailable ice, please get that information to your regional Commodore so it can get considered

Think Ice, with no snow, big launch areas, cheap hotels,

Eric Anderson
Commodore IDNIYRA
Logged
Deb Whitehorse
ADMIN

Posts: 117



« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 08:17:09 PM »

The regatta site decision has been postponed for 24 hours because of unsettled weather conditions in all regions. Thank you for your patience. Next update Friday, January 18 by 10 PM EST.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 08:39:34 PM by Deb Whitehorse » Logged
Deb Whitehorse
ADMIN

Posts: 117



« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 01:05:25 PM »

The organizing committee has postponed the selection of the regatta site until 4:30 PM EST, Saturday, January 20, 2018.
Our primary site locations at this point are the greater Lake St. Clair region near Detroit, Michigan and the greater Madison, Wisconsin area. Registration has been moved to Monday evening, January 22 at the earliest.
We have two days of warm weather at both locations with a precipitation event on Monday for both locations. Changing ice surface conditions as the weather pattern moves through these areas is causing the delay. Delaying the site selection gives us more time to assess conditions in those regions.
There is a probability that after the weather pattern passes through there could be shell ice, drain holes, and shoreline erosion at either location. Drifts at both locations may not perfectly flatten out after the weather event.
Next update by 4:30 PM EST Saturday, January 20, 2018.
Logged
Deb Whitehorse
ADMIN

Posts: 117



« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 04:11:22 PM »

The organizing committee has postponed the selection of the regatta site until 7:30 PM EST, Sunday, January 21, 2018.
At this point, we have possible sailable venues on Lake Charlevoix in Michigan and Senachwine Lake in Illinois. Weather issues for Lake Charlevoix include chances of mixed precipitation and lake effect snow on Monday through Tuesday.
Weather issues for Senachwine Lake include a long stretch of warm temperatures with two days into the 50s forecast during the race week. Other locations that are not regatta quality but are still under consideration with the current weather pattern include Kingston, Ontario in Canada, Lake Sebago, Maine, Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire, Lake St. Clair. Michigan, Houghton Lake, Michigan, and the greater Madison region in Wisconsin. We will have ice scouts at these sites tomorrow and we will do our best to keep you informed. Thank you for your patience and thanks to the ice scouts who are trying to make this happen.
Next update by 7:30 PM EST Sunday, January 21, 2018. 
Logged
Deb Whitehorse
ADMIN

Posts: 117



« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 06:46:31 PM »

The regatta organizing committee has postponed the site decision.
Mother Nature has been testing our patience. We truly appreciate and thank all of you for trusting us to do our best for you.

We are dealing with some uncertainty as to how the precipitation and following cold temperatures will affect the sites under consideration. The positives right now are that we have our assets positioned in key areas to help us scout ice. Sites under consideration are Lake Winnebago at Fond du Lac, Wi, Madison, WI, Lake Charlevoix, Michigan, Lake St. Clair, Michigan. If none of these venues prove sailable after the storm, Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire remains an option.

We are confident that we will get this regatta in. Please take this time to relax and enjoy. Ice scouts should be ready to go on DN Dawn Patrol Tuesday morning to gather information in time for our 12 noon EST conference call. We are hoping to make the final decision by 1 PM EST Tuesday, with registration and opening ceremonies on Wednesday evening January 24th, and first races TBD on Thursday morning.

Next update Tuesday, January 23 by 1 PM EST. 
Logged
Deb Whitehorse
ADMIN

Posts: 117



« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 12:44:04 PM »

The 2018 DN North American Championship Regatta has been called on for Lake Charlevoix in Michigan.

LAUNCH
Whiting Park (closest to racing area): https://goo.gl/maps/2Lsay87N9Tw
Alternative: Boyne City: https://goo.gl/maps/CgJcVg8YnQQ2


REGISTRATION
Wednesday, January 24
On site: 5 7:30 PM at regatta headquarters
Call In: 401-787-4567
Opening Ceremony: 8 PM

LODGING:
Odawa Hotel
1444 US-131, Petoskey, MI 49770
(231) 347-6041
$89 Wednesday & Thursday night
$119 Friday & Saturday night
Includes $15 casino voucher for each night, hot buffet breakfast, indoor pool, and hut tub
https://goo.gl/maps/p93TbWKHHzP2

RACING BEGINS THURSDAY, JAN 25
ANNUAL MEETING: THURSDAY EVENING, JAN 25
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 02:44:55 PM by Deb Whitehorse » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1 RC3 | SMF © 2001-2006, Lewis Media Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!