Marking Hazards

(1/2) > >>

Bob Gray:
At our club meeting the other night the topic of marking hazards on the ice came up. We discussed the possibility of using different colored cones to mark hazards and safe passage areas. What brought this to mind was a recent incident when a experienced and very careful sailor came upon two orange cones, had to mke a snap decision, choose to sail between them and took a bath. I've talked to other sailors who have had this choice to make and fortunately made the correct one,  which on occasion was to sail between the cones. Our thinking is to mark hazards with orange and safe passage spots with possibly yellow or green painted cones. We'd really appreciate getting input from our fellow iceboaters. We'd like know 1. If you think this is a poor idea or a waste of effort. 2. If you  think it's a good idea, what colors should be used. 3. If this could possibly be made into an unofficial standard and shared with other iceboating organizations. Thanks for your input.

DN 805:
It seems to me that cones are unreliable, they can  blow away.  I would rather see stakes with flags, such as Bill VanGee's team uses, with the stakes stuck into the ice.    Having different colors indicating safe passage, or no safe passage, is an excellent feature.

The Skeeter IBC ice checking committee members frequently use Christmas tree branches to mark pressure ridges or holes, drilling small holes and sticking the branch into the hole, and then placing a tree where it is safe to cross.   Of course this system is difficult to implement if your group is traveling to a new sheet of ice.  Easier to transport flags.

It is always prudent to get out of the boat where you see a hazzard marker to make sure you're crossing in a safe place.  The configurations of the hazzards change frequently throughtout the day. 

DN 805

Scott Brown:
I'm glad Bob raised this issue.  I nearly splashed at the Western Challenge last year early Sunday morning.  I jibed and suddenly came upon three cones.  I wasn't sure so I sailed around the marks.   The Germans came right behind me, split the cones and took a bath.

My suggestion is the make a single "gate" through a bad area and mark it in only one location with two large green flags.  This would mean to a sailor to split the marks for a safe crossing.  A long line a smaller flags would mean this is a line not to cross. 

Think of flying across the ice when your visibility is reduced, you don't want to be in a position of trying to remember what each color means.  So make it intuitive. 

Two flags -- split the middle.
A line of flags --don't cross.

Scott

dnus4925:
I think it is a good idea to mark hazards and safe zones in two contrasting colors ( red seems to be the accepted norm for hazard). Any hazard should be marked with at least 2 flags depending on the size, pressure ridges should be marked with much more. The red flages I make for our club are 18" x 18", they are much  more visible. You can make them even larger if you want. I just go to the local party store, they sell red vinyl table cloths in long rolls (100'long X 39" wide), you can even get it on sale for $6. You get many flags out of a roll. The sticks are just scrap 3/4 X3/4, a few staples and your in business
Scott

RANDY ROGOSKI:
The West Michigan Ice Yacht Club makes hazard marking flags in two colors. Red for "hazard ... stop!", and green, for "go."

A simple easy way to make them is from ripstop nylon fabric, available at any fabric store.
On a table saw, rip up scrap lumber so you have 3 ft. long pieces about 3/4" square.
Trim an end so it fits into a hole drilled with an ice screw, or a 7/8" augur bit on a hi-amp cordless drill.
Staple the flags to the poles.
Cost: about $0.75 apiece. A fun little club project.

Once a safe passage across a hazardous working seam is found, mark it with green flags. Place one or more red flags outside each safe passage flag.

Surround large holes, such as goose holes, with red flags. The outlets to storm sewer drains in small lakes also create holes.

Marked hazards can be seen and avoided.

When there are lots of little holes, get off the ice.

Randy Rogoski
DN US 4192

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page