New runner Proposal

(1/5) > >>

Bob Gray:
Thank you Geoge Long for your proposal, it's about time someone suggested this change. Maybe now we can get some decent snow runners.

John Davenport:
This has been proposed in the past.  The problem is that everyone will need to build 2 new sets of runners for sure maybe 3.
1.   26” X 0.188” Current min spec is 0.230”
2.   36” X 0.188”
3.   36” X 0.270” Maybe insert is fine/better.
Big plates are expensive and very difficult to make hard, (58 Rockwell C) and straight.
This is a game changer. Do we need more runners?

Bob Gray:
If you lived in the lake effect snow belt like I do, you'd find a set of min thickness plates invaluable. It sure would make sailing thru 3"-4" snow a lot easier.

Paul Goodwin - US 46:
My 2 cents ...

I agree with US4691.  If this proposal passes, all of the top racers will have to add 2 or 3 (or more?) sets of runners to their already too-big kit.  Even worse, I don't think it will make inserts obsolete since inserts will be significantly lighter than equivalent plates.  This means that inserts will be better unless the snow is too deep for inserts (over 1 1/2") or it is really windy (when the extra weight will help).

I have also heard comments that 36" plates cannot be made, or will break.  Sarns has been making 36" plates for J-14s for years.  As far as I know there have been no problems with these runners - however they are 1/4" plates, and there may be significant problems with the 3/16" thickness.

As far as these being cheap runners, they won't be if they are made of 440C stainless steel, heat treated to Rockwell C58. They may be slightly cheaper than an insert since plates don't require the high-tech runner body that is needed for a good insert, but the higher cost for the steel (twice as much steel as an insert) will make the total cost nearly the same for insert vs. plate runner.

The only way this proposal would make sense is if inserts were eliminated.  This might be good for new sailors joining the class, but all the current racers would have to throw out their inserts and replace them with equivalent plates.

As for Bob Gray's post, a thinner plate runner would be pretty nice, especially in crusty or styrofoam snow.   However I don't think the introduction of this change would be good for the class.  I know I don't want to add more runners to my arsenal.

Bob Gray:
Paul makes some good points,however if you have a full quiver of inserts etc., the average well equiped sailor would only want one more set and that would probably be a set of snow runners. In my case, if this proposal passes, I'm going to take the stiffeners off my snow runners, take them to a local machine shop and have them ground down to .1875", shim the stiffeners back to the proper thickness an end up with some real snow runners. I don't think my old Sarns plates were heat treated, I could be wrong.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page