idea: new limit of runners for season

(1/1)

Kentski:
here is my latest idea, ready to be shot down for sure... maybe

in one sailing season  nov through april    in all IDNIYRA events local, regional , continental, world 

The only runners allowed will be that of:  one set of plates , one set of inserts  , One set of tee's, one set of angles,  for entire season.............. no exceptions

"stated" runners will be tagged  somehow......  ,not to be exchanged during  season. 
Runner camber ,crown ,angle is allowed to be modified at will, but not the basic runner.   Any runner will not be allowed to be substituted if damaged lost or missing FOR THE SEASON

benefits/cons
this will not exclude sailors with vast inventories of runners acumalated over the years. it will just make them produce /choose runners which are "all around" for each type towards conditions for the up-coming season (that'll be fun)   

this will allow the newer sailor not need to have the "big trunk-load" of runners, but just wisely prepared sets of each type.... most active sailors have the bulk of these already so the big challenge for all is to determine the all around profile/angle for each set allowed

something I think we should consider in general     

policing it will be the biggest issue. I really dont think it will be since we all know our competitors equipment in general

i would be interested in your opinions   i am sure they will vary......

see you in mini-haha
regards  j.k. 3535     "the old and cold"

Geoff Sobering:
I like the concept.   :)

I'd suggest one minor modification and make the slot in your proposal with the "one set of Tees" instead "one additional set of wood-bodied runners (i.e. inserts or Tees)".

Heck, I'd be happy with simply making the current nine-runners pre-regatta a season-long restriction.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

ERIC ANDERSON:
Jeff,
Generaly I like the concept:
How about the following:

Competitors will be allowed to register 12 runners at the beginning of the season. Maybe a different number would be better (9 runners, 15 runners?)  Only those runners will be allowed during sanctioned competition in North America for the calendar year.  Competitors are allowed to register the same or  a different group of   runners for competition in EDNIYRA.

I think this keeps the basic idea of Jeffs proposal.  Limit the arsenal of runners that you have to carry.  Allows more flexibility to those with limited gear.  I see a lot of people with 2 sets of inserts and no slush runners or one set of inserts but a few sets of plates.

The other thing I think we need to keep in mind is a lot of competitors keep separate runners in Europe and North America for events.  With the costs of air shipping today this is a big cost concern.  Any proposal made should allow people to keep separate runners overseas for competition. 

My 9 runner set would be:

1 26” stainless plate runner  440C
2 30”stainless Plate runners  440C
2 3/16” stainless 36” inserts  440C
2 1/4” stainless 36”inserts 440C with stiffeners
2  36” stainless slush runners 316

12 runners would be:

3 26” stainless plate  440C
3  36” stainless slush runners 316

15 runners would be:

3 26” stainless plate  440C
1 3/16” stainless 30” insert  440C
2 3/16” stainless 36” inserts  440C with stiffeners
3  36” stainless slush runners 316

For myself, I currently carry the 15 runner set + Pit runners and some times a spare set of inserts for  practicing. 

Sail fast,
Travel light

Eric Anderson
US 5193

Navigation

[0] Message Index