DN NA Class  

DN America Forums

April 18, 2024, 07:11:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ice Optis to Avoid Arms Race  (Read 14668 times)
Daniel Hearn
Class Member

« on: December 27, 2007, 10:35:34 AM »

In a bold move intended to preempt the initiation of an "arms race" in the Opti Class, the Executive Committee of the North American Ice Opti Racing Association, meeting today in a heavily guarded facility in an undisclosed location believed to be somewhere in Wisconsin, decided that insert runners would be banned from all championship events.  The committee also decided that sailors would be restricted to the use of a single set of plate runners for an entire regatta, with the only exception being in the case of a breakdown.  One official, speaking on the condition of anonymity said, "These kids will have plenty of opportunity for endless debate on the topic of an appropriate arsenal of runners when they get to the DN class.  Heck, just look at those knuckleheads, they've been fightin' about that for decades."

Specifics:
"Legal" plate runners shall not exceed 30" in length.  No minimum length.  Minimum thickness .150".  No maximum thickness.

Rationale:
Intent is to encourage the use of standard bullnose plate runners (e.g. Sarns), as they are readily available.  Or, runners comparable to the standard issue plates that come on the Stan Macur built boats from Poland.   
dn4889

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 11:48:51 AM »

Good move. We need to keep this class simple and inexpensive. The next issue might be to ban carbon and kevlar.
us5285

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 11:22:15 AM »

Dan,
Although I most heartly agree with your intent on keeping the ice opti class cheap, fair, and fun it might be a good idea to keep the class discussions open to all participants.  By getting input from all the members, and having discussions about new rules, we could avoid people building 30" long minimum - T thickness runners with carbon / honeycomb bodies.

At this point in time I think that if someone shows up with an ice opti, they sail no matter what is on the boat.  My oldest daughter would not of been able to sail at the NA's this year as I only had five bullnose runners for two boats, so she had to use my 30" front insert in order to sail. 

Thank you for your vision and hard work.  It doesn't go unnoticed nor unappreciated.

Chris  US5285
Daniel Hearn
Class Member

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 06:02:05 PM »

Hi Chris:

Point well-taken.  And I know we are on the same page regarding intent.  Discussions should most certainly be open to all participants.  My announcement was written rather "tongue in cheek" because I don't really have the authority to make any kind of "official" ruling on behalf of the participants.  I don't believe anybody does.  And I'm not sure how formal the participants want to make things.  There will be another announcement coming out from the Central Region shortly regarding an early February Junior event, and I thought it appropriate for potential participants to know as far in advance as possible of the runner restriction that will appear on the NOR. 

At this event, it would seem appropriate for all interested parties to get together to discuss things like this.  Let's plan on it. 

Happy New Year!

Daniel

John Davenport
Class Member

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 09:29:52 AM »

Hi Dan,

None of my concern, but did you really mean min thickness of 0.150"?  That is the min T spec.  Or did you mean 0.230" like DN plate minimum?

Happy New Year!

John  US-4961
us5285

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 11:24:11 AM »

John,

The standard opti-plate that Daniel is refering to are 4mm thick. The side runners are 20" long and the front runner is 16" long.

Chris US5285
dn4889

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 11:00:13 AM »

I think the Opti's should try to just stick with 1/4 inch Plate runners. Most people have a set of plates that can be used on the Opti. DN racers usually have a set of bullnose blades that are not used for racing often or the may have set of short snow plates. Nite owners can let their kid use the blades off their boat. I would also allow any type of metal for the runners but I would not let in runners longer than 30 inches. Obviously exceptions can be made at regatta's if needed.
    For the rest of the specifications I would see what Europe is doing. They seem to have a larger number of kids involved and may have alot of this worked out.
Ken Smith
ADMIN

sail often, travel light

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 08:46:45 PM »

Dan:

Seems to be lots of advice from non-participants.  As they say, free advice is worth its price and more. 

For them that don't know, the official opti rule for runners is that there runners can be shorter than  DN runners but not longer, and no thinner than 0.150 inches.

Also, the limited rules regarding the boat limit maximum hull/plank geometry, limit weight, require buoyancy, and require an optimist rig and sail plan (plus shrouds).  This is a WIDE OPEN class, and anyone who can get a kid sailing is welcome.

Also, Stan Mercur sells optis with 26 inch 0.150 plates.  They are the norm on these boats in Europe.

Now, despite my belief that 0.150 plates might be a good thing on the DN,
would be cheap and easy to build for an opti,
the fact is that I no longer have either the optis I built nor a kid interested in sailing them, 
I, therefore, offer offer zero advice on how the class is regulated here in the US.

However I strongly suggest:  Either stick to the international interpretations  (wide open), or make an "official" US interpretation for regattas here and publish it. 

But beware of "drift."  It took almost 10 years of hard work to reunite the US and Europe in the DN after the drift developed.   Others will want to define more hull restrictions, limit materials, add buoyancy tests, limit weight, regulate sail cloth, regulate rigging, etc etc etc.  Good grief.  Well intended drift. 

Everyone who shows up should sail.  Each participant should feel happy and enjoy the event.  Each should come home with a talisman.  (I sure want my souvenir from the NAs).  Hopefully, some will graduate into DNs.  Then they can argue and regulate that class.

Tongue

« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 09:01:34 PM by Ken Smith » Logged

Ken Smith
DN4137US
Ken Smith
ADMIN

sail often, travel light

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 08:54:14 PM »

Ice Optimist class-rules
Approved by IDNIYRA Europe 2002-04-21
1. Fuselage - construction and design is optional, maximum length 3000 mm including
hardware, the width is optional. Material, wood or laminate. Fuselage must have sufficient
flotation capacity. A complete Ice Optimist plus 10 kilograms of weight, must float in open
water. Steering - optional construction, technically acceptable, without looseness.
Minimum weight including hardware 12 kg.
2. Plank - maximum length 2000 mm, maximum width 180 mm. Material optional;
metal pipe, wood or laminate.
Minimum weight including hardware 5 kg.
3. Sail - as Optimist class, the cloth is optional.
4. Mast, boom and sprit - the same as Optimist class.
5. Rigging - one forestay and two side stays, possible to adjust. Number and type of
sheet blocks is optional.
6. Runners - the length can be shorter than DN-class runners,
but not longer. Minimum runner thickness 3mm. Steering runner must have parking brake.
Front end of runner smooth rounded not less than radius 15 mm. Front edge above ice
rounded not sharp,
to prevent a sailor from being cut in a collision.

Ken Smith
DN4137US
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: